Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternative Regulator Rectifiers for 800XC  (Read 10785 times)

Offline lparker1983

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 ROADIE 2012
Re: Alternative Regulator Rectifiers for 800XC
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
You can check the rest of bike by unplugging the stator connector from reg rec and running bike. That way the stator ain't putting any voltage into the reg rec so it can't do damage. You can run it like this but the bike will be running off the battery power alone so 10min or so is prob max so you don't run down the battery too much.
  Least you can check the bikes systems whilst getting a replacement reg rec.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »
OK, things only went downhill from this morning finding out the reg/rec is screwed. Will start a new thread on the other (possibly hugely expensive) issue, over voltage may have already caused ECU or ABS modulator damage.

But with regard to the reg/rec, having had no need to look or investigate before, I started looking behind the engine for the easily accessible item to remove and check part numbers, info, etc. to obviously not find it and realise I was thinking of my Street Triple. A quick check back here put me right .... what a dumb place to put it .... a  radiator removal to access 2 bolts and a couple of connectors. :232:

There is a 2nd hand XRt one on ebay for 50, though it looks like the whole 2nd generation and earlier Tigers use the same model reg/rec. Or has anyone tried a pattern one from Squaredeals?
http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-regulator-rectifier-quality-aftermarket-part-sku-t1300470--t1300675-20800-p.asp
Possibly the one Tomcat sourced from Yamaha may be the right one? Guess I need to get the screwed one off 1st to check its label/specs.
Definitely not wanting to pay Triumph 200.

Not bothered about task of changing the reg/rec but time and weather (no garage or cover) are restricting factors and it looks like I was wise booking separate accommodation for the Megameet as (free) cancellation (nothing paid yet) now looks inevitable. :161:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:34:20 PM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »
If you can't get your bike fixed in time for the MegaMeet I've always got my 800XC available if you want to borrow it for the weekend. I'll be using my Explorer for the MegaMeet.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
Thanks for the offer. Though I wouldn't feel comfortable risking riding someone elses pride and joy more importantly to keep the insurance cost down I'm only insured for my own bike, I dropped 'any bike' 3rd party cover ... but thanks again.  :028:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by lparker1983 [+]
You can check the rest of bike by unplugging the stator connector from reg rec and running bike

:148: does anyone know if there is an accessible way to do this without stripping off the radiator and accessing the reg/rec itself?

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
I think it can be done without removing the radiator fully, just unbolting the mounts, and letting it hang forward on the pipes, if you have normal sized hands...Still a cozy fit though

Offline lparker1983

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 04:29:40 PM »
As above. Remove side panels and the two bolts holding rad, one top and one bottom and wiggle it off the rubber mount at top, pull it forward and sideways to release it. Once it's holding by its own pipes you have enough room to undo the two reg bolts and then the wires.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
So not just removing the connector, but you reckon the reg/rec can be swopped without draining and removing the rad? If so I may make the Megameet yet. Work tomorrow so will try to get that connector off now as may clear other issues .. will post up this evening and order the s/h XRt reg on ebay ... in short T800XC sent me a debug version of Tigertool that threw up an additional code regarding ABS circuit (that refers to charging fault and particularly over 16v (I have 19.2v at tickover).
Cheer guys, best get this laptop back indoors and grab a few spanners.  :028:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:39:38 PM by Stevie.P »

Offline tomcat

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
So not just removing the connector, but you reckon the reg/rec can be swopped without draining and removing the rad? If so I may make the Megameet yet. Work tomorrow so will try to get that connector off now as may clear other issues .. will post up this evening and order the s/h XRt reg on ebay ... in short T800XC sent me a debug version of Tigertool that threw up an additional code regarding ABS circuit (that refers to charging fault and particularly over 16v (I have 19.2v at tickover).
Cheer guys, best get this laptop back indoors and grab a few spanners.  :028:

The reg/rec can definitely be changed without draining the radiator. I've just done it.
Remove radiator shroud bolts and then the top and bottom radiator mounting bolts. The radiator tilts down and forward supported by its own piping.
It's tight for room behind it. The view somewhat restricted, but it is manageable.

Offline lparker1983

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 07:44:19 PM »
Found this little led gadget that would take up no roomand is a good little indicator when the alternator is over or under charging or just right.
Going to order one .
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202138448017

Recent Topics

winded-staunch