Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light, inconsistent  (Read 2919 times)

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
Low oil pressure light, inconsistent
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »
For a while now my oil pressure light has been coming on when at or slightly above tickover. This only happens when the engine has warmed up. The thing is it's not consistent. For example, the other day at about 34 degrees C, engine really hot in city traffic no light at all. Other times, same conditions light comes on. Today, about 8 degrees C light on at tickover. Stop bike to take a few photos and on restarting no light. I've seen a few other reports of low oil pressure lights flickering on and off but never seen if a new pressure switch fixed the issue.

To my mind if there's an engine issue causing low oil pressure then it would be consistent and the light would be on all the time when the engine is hot. To me it points to a dodgy switch unless anyone can come up with other suggestions for the inconsistency.

I'm in Colombia so getting the oil pressure checked is not really an option, Triumph seem to have recently suspended operations on Colombia. I'm returning to the UK in November for a few weeks so will pick up a switch then before returning to South America.

Bike is running fine.

Cheers
Steve
Orange 800xc ABS

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
Re: Low oil pressure light, inconsistent
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:24:24 PM »
IMO you need to assume the light is giving you the correct information before you can prove otherwise.
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:56:11 AM »
Check oil level?

Chico

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
Hi Chico, low oil level is definitely not the issue. Level is checked before each ride along with tyre pressures and coolant level.

Cheers
Steve
Orange 800xc ABS

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by stevedo [+]
For a while now my oil pressure light has been coming on when at or slightly above tickover...it's not consistent.on and off but never seen if a new pressure switch fixed the issue.
To my mind if there's an engine issue causing low oil pressure then it would be consistent...To me it points to a dodgy switch unless anyone can come up with other suggestions for the inconsistency.
...getting the oil pressure checked is not really an option...I'm returning to the UK in November for a few weeks so will pick up a switch then
If you're planning to replace the switch as a diagnostic technique?, why not check the oil pressure? Both tasks are accomplished at the same place (almost any pressure gauge w/proper threaded adapter will work). Oil pressure: 49 psi @ 5K RPM, oil temp. 80* C.
Generally, it only takes a few psi (low single digit psi) to "set" an oil pressure switch (turn off the light).
Some other suggestions for oil pressure inconsistency:
  • Oil pressure relief valve (in the engine's oil sump) stuck open / fouled w/debris / etc.
  • Oil pump is faulty.
  • Oil pump pick-up strainer is blocked / dirty / otherwise compromised.
  • Engine bearing oil clearances are excessive.

Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Offline stevedo

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »
Just an update from me on this. The oil light has not come on in the last month in any conditions i.e. hot or cold weather, high or low temperature. It does come on when the bike is first turned on and goes out when the bike starts, so it's definitely working.

The only thing that's changed is my stepper motor. It failed (I'll write another post on what failed) and I replaced it with a manual adjuster bracket and I've set tickover at 1200rpm. I no longer have the bike drop to 600 - 800rpm when it starts before picking up revs as the original stepper did its thing. I'm not sure what to read into this but the coincidence is just too great to ignore.

Steve
Orange 800xc ABS

Offline jackactual

• Tiger Member
  • The West is the Best!
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 12:43:41 AM »
Had this problem myself (2013 Tiger 800XC). First trip to the dealer said it was faulty pressure sensor and replaced it. Did not solve problem at all and nervously lived with it for a month or two. At the 24k service different tech did some trouble shooting, found nothing, but mentioned that my after market oil filter (K&N) could be the problem and used an OEM filter. Fingers crossed but it appears to have solved the intermittent light problem. Haven't seen the oil pressure light turn on since (excepting start-up which is normal). 

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 08:07:57 PM »
It's called a "Low oil-pressure warning light"...
You'd think someone would want to, actually, check the oil-pressure..?  :187:
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by stevedo [+]
Just an update from me on this. The oil light has not come on in the last month in any conditions i.e. hot or cold weather, high or low temperature. It does come on when the bike is first turned on and goes out when the bike starts, so it's definitely working.

The only thing that's changed is my stepper motor. It failed (I'll write another post on what failed) and I replaced it with a manual adjuster bracket and I've set tickover at 1200rpm. I no longer have the bike drop to 600 - 800rpm when it starts before picking up revs as the original stepper did its thing. I'm not sure what to read into this but the coincidence is just too great to ignore.

Steve
sounds like the same prob as on reliant motors, the switch gets a bit dodgy and flickers the light , raising the tickover ever so slightly sorts it, as it puts a bit more pressure on the failing spring in the switch... eventually it comes back on as the switch eventually gets worse.
as its so intermittent it suggests the switch, dodgy mains, oil pump etc are usually more consistant and also get worse with temp...
but..... its always worth checking the oil pressure if you can, especially if getting a new switch will take a while
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:08:54 AM by digger06 »

Offline jackactual

• Tiger Member
  • The West is the Best!
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 05:18:28 AM »
should have also mentioned that my oil pressure was normal, checked it twice!

Recent Topics