Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light, inconsistent  (Read 3595 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Low oil pressure light, inconsistent
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 07:29:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by jackactual [+]
Had this problem myself (2013 Tiger 800XC).
...tech...mentioned that my after market oil filter (K&N) could be the problem and used an OEM filter.
...appears to have solved the intermittent light problem. Haven't seen the oil pressure light turn on since (excepting start-up which is normal).
*Originally Posted by jackactual [+]
...my oil pressure was normal, checked it twice!
Thanks for that -- interesting... :084:
I don't suppose you'll be changing back to K&N anytime soon?, but - it would be a good test to prove a faulty brand of filter.
Makes one wonder how an oil filter could cause low oil pressure? (unless it leaked...)
(K&N filters seem to enjoy considerable popularity around here...)
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Makes one wonder how an oil filter could cause low oil pressure? (unless it leaked...)

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
Well, I watched the video -- thanks.
But, didn't see where filter brand contributed to low oil pressure (perhaps I missed it..?).
Tommy Makem

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 07:06:43 AM »
it said that on a RACE motor, (not road) it MAY matter, I doubt a filter would alter flow so much on a normal, (ie oil lines not baffled)bike, a race bikes different, they are looking for the best of everything, and correct flow matters more on a hot, revving race bike.
I just cant see filter type mattering too much ,especially at low revs, maybe a couple of psi at high revs , if it did, it would be excessivly restrictive.modern pumps cope very well, even at tick over.
maybe the filter was really badly faulty,resulting in blockage, (which would have damaged your bike quickly at higher revs) or the new oil was a tad thicker, to keep the oil light off.
K+N oil filters have always been fine on my bikes, synth or otherwise.i have used both.
a wierd fault indeed....
maybe when the shop was looking at it they inadvertantly corrected a loose wire or something on the switch??

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:10:42 AM by digger06 »

Offline jackactual

• Tiger Member
  • The West is the Best!
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »
good point on the inadvertent wiring repair. I may try a K&N again at next oil change, depends on my risk tolerance at the time!

Offline NORTY

• Tiger Master
  • RiderCoach
  • Bike: 2012 800XC
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »
An oil filter should have a bypass spring built inside the filter. This is the primary reason to use OEM filters. There may have been a blockage within the media to cause an abnormal pressure change.
MSF RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!) :)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »
In this thread the OP raised his idle speed to solve his low oil pressure at idle issue.
The other poster (in this thread) with oil light 'on' at idle said the shop solved his problem by replacing the K&N oil filter with, presumably?, an OEM filter.
K&N say their filters are equipped with anti-drainback / bypass spring/valve set-ups.
I think the filter bypass spring pressure, whilst low, is still considerably higher than the PSI threshold for setting the low oil pressure light - which is very low (just a few PSI).
Of course, all would be answered if the Poster would fit a K&N and see the oil light illuminate...
(any other K&N users out there..?  :187: )
Tommy Makem

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 10:57:42 PM »
I have always used K&N 204 oil filters for both the 800XC and my Honda CB1300.
Never had any oil related problems during combined bike distance of about 250,000 km. OK by me.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
Maybe this is a case of the odd faulty oil filter, K&N have had their problems lately with manufacture being moved to inexperienced third world countries. They have had so much trouble spot-welding a nut on to the case, gawd knows what the internals could be like.

I use oem or Mahle filters, imo the latter are better quality, each to their own on that. I wouldn't touch K&N, had too much trouble with their products in recent years, both air & oil filters. Quality control must be sadly lacking. Best wishes to any who take that risk.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline jackactual

• Tiger Member
  • The West is the Best!
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 09:46:48 PM »
Update on my oil pressure light and the OEM vs K&N filter debate! Changed oil and filter about 500 miles ago and used a K&N filter. The light has flickered on only once since the oil change. I was in low speed traffic going up a significant grade (highway 84 west on my way to Alice's Restaurant) and stopped after I was able to break free of the traffic. Has not come back on since, other than start up of course. My conclusion to date is either a one-off filter issue and/or inadvertant wiring repair during the 24k service.

Recent Topics