Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12,000 mile service...do the valves really need checking?  (Read 14910 times)

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrt
12,000 mile service...do the valves really need checking?
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »
I'm due the 12k service (done ~11k over 28 months). The manual states valve clearance check but this sounds early and I'm getting some mixed messages from the dealer. A valve check on my last bike, Honda CBF1000, at 16k miles showed no need and most owners wait until the 24k or 32k service.
Other factor is quoted cost as ~500, plus another 100 if any shimming needs to be done! :114:

Experience and advise welcome!

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: 12,000 mile service...do the valves really need checking?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »
Yes, check them

Lots of bikes need shim adjustment at the 12K point and then not again for quite a while

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
Definitely.
I do my own servicing and at the 12000 mile service, actually 13000, I found 5 valves needed adjustment.
If you can do it yourself, do so. You know it's been done then and not hoping that the stealer did actually do it.

Offline Tigerider

• Tiger Pro
  • Just another day for another ride!
  • Bike: Tiger ABS
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
It's not worth the risk to not have them checked....& yes, you could get up to 24k mls with no mechanical failure, but what would the cost be if your money saving scheme went wrong.

l just had mine done at 13k & only one exhaust valve needed checking, it cost me *$230 at a local qualified independent mechanic but my motto is "Better Safe Than Sorry!"

*about 170 quid!
Call me Dave

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonesTheBass [+]
I'm due the 12k service (done ~11k over 28 months). The manual states valve clearance check but this sounds early and I'm getting some mixed messages from the dealer. A valve check on my last bike, Honda CBF1000, at 16k miles showed no need and most owners wait until the 24k or 32k service.
Other factor is quoted cost as ~500, plus another 100 if any shimming needs to be done! :114:

If you don't want to do it yourself or pay dealer prices, I would recommend David Muddy Sump. He did my 12k service, including checking valve clearances, for well under that price. Thoroughly recommend him.
Give a man a fish and he'll demand chips, a six pack of stella, 20 fags and a scratch card to go with it. Make him do some work for his fish. He'll aporeciate it more.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonesTheBass [+]
*Originally Posted by Tigerider [+]
It's not worth the risk to not have them checked....& yes, you could get up to 24k mls with no mechanical failure, but what would the cost be if your money saving scheme went wrong.
A contrarian view:
Whilst it's certainly nice to have a well-tuned and adjusted engine, no mechanical failure is likely to occur from incorrect valve clearances.
The normal sequence of events (if they happen at-all?) is for the valve clearances to decrease over time along with a small decrease (but, maybe not noticeable?) in engine performance.
Ultimately, the engine's valves and valve seats will wear to the point of needing replacement/resurfacing after many tens-of-thousands of miles and years of use -- whether kept in proper adjustment, or not.
In the automotive world, engines with shim & bucket valve clearance adjustment are ubiquitous -- and, checking/adjustment largely ignored.

There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline johnnyboy101

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
+1 for muddy sump. I was quoted 700 quid for 12,000 service from dealer !! Muddy sump a lot cheaper than that and a very professional service

Offline dunkymunky

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »
My Triumph dealer told me not to do them!

It's now coming up to the 24k service and the engine sounds like a bag of spanners.

I would get them done for sure!

Offline Tigerider

• Tiger Pro
  • Just another day for another ride!
  • Bike: Tiger ABS
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:56:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
A contrarian view:
Whilst it's certainly nice to have a well-tuned and adjusted engine, no mechanical failure is likely to occur from incorrect valve clearances.
A contrarian contrarian view......Yes it is!
https://repairpal.com/valve-clearance-check-adjust
https://itstillruns.com/problems-caused-bad-valve-adjustment-6875444.html
https://repairpal.com/valve-clearance-check-adjust

And the above references are to LOW revving engines!!!!
Call me Dave

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »
The bottom line is as we call it on our side of the pond, a crap shoot, or roll of the dice. The answer to whether you need to have it done is unfortunately unknown until it's done. If the engine needs the valves re-shimmed then you need it done. If they're OK then you have the peace of mind. :125:

Chico

Recent Topics