Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12,000 mile service...do the valves really need checking?  (Read 18345 times)

Offline JohnTz

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2015 XRX
Re: 12,000 mile service...do the valves really need checking?
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2020, 08:32:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by PapaTom [+]
Decided to check my valves seeing as I've free time on my hands due to lockdown.

First a big thankyou to Mr T800XC for the amazing tool he freely gives. I forgot to reconnect the MAP sensor pipe  :138:  and the software let me know  :152:

Secondly, if any of you guys (or gals) are thinking of doing the same, especially after watching Muddysumps excellent videos, take note. I have a 17/18 model Gen2 and there is a little more going on there than Muddysumps T800. Removing extra parts including SAIS and throttle bodies is not a real problem, but the lack of comparative access is. The available space to access some fixings is really tight, especially when coming to torque back up.

Hope this helps someone.

:031:

Awesome. So how were they?  Also what is the tool that Mr Tx offers for?

Online PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2020, 09:40:15 PM »
Referring to Tigertool software that he developed and offers on this forum.

Offline xsrider

• Tiger Pro
  • Be seeing you.
  • Bike: 2014 Roadie ABS
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2021, 09:58:54 PM »
I went 17,000 miles before I finally had the 12,000 mike service and valves checked on my 2014 Roadie.  All valves were still in spec.  I have the Dealer tool and do most maintenance on the Roadie myself.  I just don't do valve checks myself. 

Offline romanrick

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xc
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2021, 03:19:22 PM »
I have owned and serviced 6 Triumphs, 5 x 955s and my Tiger 800xc. they have all needed some adjustment at 12,000 miles and I tend to aim for the upper limit when replacing the shims and even change the ones that are within spec  if I can get them towards maximum without going outside of limit. Once this is done they usually stay within spec for many miles. My Sprint RS has now passed 60,000 without further adjustment.
Not checking at the required service mileage is risky, despite what people may tell you. Valves that are too tight will cause poor starting, reduced performance and eventually burnt or bent valves. Too loose and they will be noisy and  again loose performance.

Recent Topics