Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cobrra Nemo 2 chain oiler: feedback  (Read 9215 times)

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Cobrra Nemo 2 chain oiler: feedback
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »
Had one, sold it, tooooooo much fling  :151:

Sticking with Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube - Fantastic stuff no mess, no problem  :028:

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2019, 09:11:36 AM »
I read a quarter turn gives 3 minutes of oil, I guess that is in drips, how many drips per minute is that? Is there any adjustment to the drips per minute?
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2019, 09:14:39 AM »
No adjustments, just turn the lid and it drips, then flings all over the back wheel  :138:

The only thing that may make a difference is the viscosity of the oil  :084:

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
Bit like a Scotty that's set too high then.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2019, 09:36:32 AM »
Not really, a Scottoiler has a constant feed when the bike is running as it's connected to the carb (throttle body) vacuum, and has an adjustable flow. The Cobra just has a simple turn the lid and let the oil run out.

You could say the Cobra was simular in the fact that all these chain oilers end up flinging the oil over the back wheel  :151:

If you don't like constantly having to clean all this crap off use the Wurth lube  :152:

After all how long does it take to lube a chain  :260:

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
I set the Scotty at one drip every 40 seconds, then no fling. I was asking how many drips per min the Nemo gave during its 3 mins for comparison. If it's dropping maybe 5 drips per min it could fling off. Has nobody checked it?

Online Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »
Use mine when Im 5 minutes from home. 30mph all the way home, no fling and the oil seeps into the chain once its back home and on its stand.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2019, 12:18:03 PM »
If you go by the Nemo instructions you would make a lid turn when filling up with petrol, and then when riding away let the oil run round the chain whilst the bike was moving - fairly obvious really as otherwise it would just end up as a puddle of oil on the floor  :017:

I always did this and road for some miles, usually at a steady pace after filling up as most (not all) petrol is obtained in mainly built up areas. Didn't make any difference the oil still ended up on the back wheel  :157:

I'm unsure how any user of automatic chain oilers has not ended up with oil on the back wheel  :187:  I've had a Scottoiler a Nemo 2 and a couple of other chain oilers all of which ended up depositing oil on the back wheel.

If you're doing somewhere in the region of 200 miles a day every day I can understand the requirement, as for the extended chain life I think you'll find that some of these extended chain life claims are a little exaggerated  :084: :084: :084:

IMHO regular chain cleaning and lubrication will extend the life of any chain, by fitting a chain oiler a lot of folk think that's it, I don't need to do anything else, which is not the case, keep the chain clean, give it a good lube every couple of hundred miles and the chain will last well.

And in answer to Paulhere from what I remember the drip rate was probably one drip about every 5-10 seconds.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
Drop rate is a bit of a misnomer. Its a scotoiler concept created by scotoiler start numerous thread wars. Fa t of the matter is that a positive displacement pump, whether mechanical or electrical is miles better than pure gravity.  :164:
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
And in answer to Paulhere from what I remember the drip rate was probably one drip about every 5-10 seconds.

Ok thankyou, that's what I was thinking, the problem could be. if I set the Scotty at 1 drip per 20 secs or less it would be all over the wheel. As I said 1 drip per 40 secs & it's fine.

I wouldn't be without an auto oiler of some sort, pita carrying all the stuff then cleaning & oiling every couple of hundred miles when on a 2.5-3k mile tour. The auto oiler has to take some credit for chain kits lasting 30+k miles.

This is just my opinion. We all have our own thoughts & opinions on this. Depends what we use our bikes for.

Recent Topics