setting off

Views: 453
Posted by: Frenchie
in: Frenchie
TT IMG15

Views: 2750
Posted by: T800XC
in: T800XC

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dunlop Trailsmart tyres/tires - any views?  (Read 522 times)

Online davexavier

• Tiger Member
  • Born To Be Mild
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger ABS
Dunlop Trailsmart tyres/tires - any views?
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
Hi

as a new Tiger 800 owner I noticed it is fitted with Dunlop Trailsmart tyres (or tires for US readers).

Has anyone run these for a while? Are they any good on the Tiger 800?

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Re: Dunlop Trailsmart tyres/tires - any views?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
Good tire haven't seen anything negative about them. They are the successor to the TR91 which I ran on my 660 Tenere.

Offline kokkios

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »
Have them. Love them

Huge improvement from the Metzeler Tourance Next. Bike now keeps its line nicely when turning, grips better and there is no instability when crossing white lines or cracked tarmarc.

5000Km on them and they seem to hold on ok.

Can't comment on behaviour on wet. I don't ride in rain. I live in Cyprus :)

Online davexavier

• Tiger Member
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
Thanks guys, I certainly have found no issues with them. The previous keeper must have fitted them as they are not OE on the Tiger 800 I believe.

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Online DonVulpes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »
Have them on my Explorer and I rate them only below the Roadtec 01s

Doesn't matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always the better option.

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
Been riding on them since they were TR91s.  New trailsmarts are good in both road and fire trails, rain and dry patchy conditions.  And the tread wear mileage is excellent.  They do square off after 5,000 miles but still handle well.  Biggest issue is that they are lasting so long that I haven't figured out when I need to change them - I have a new set just gathering dust ...

Online davexavier

• Tiger Member
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »
Thank you all.

They seem sure footed. I asked as I never heard of them before. I think they came out in 2015 ? Anyway no complaints from me; haven't used them in heavy rain yet, but have plenty of tread on them and no slippy stuff....yet  :015:

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Offline chris_notts

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
I had Dunlop Roadsmart 2s on mine as replacement for the really awful OEM roadie tyres. Great tyres, front was a little squared off, rear very sqaured and down to the wear bars but only at 9000miles... which is the longest I've ever had a rear bike tyre last. Grippy in the wet, and dry, plenty of lean and nothing to dislike. I beleive (though could be utterly wrong) that trailsmarts are a similar compound with a more chunky tread pattern?

If the trailsmarts are anywhere near as good as roadsmarts, then you have a great tyre. Good luck and keep us in the know

Having said all that above, I'v just gone for Avon Trailriders (roadie, not XC). They've been on 300 miles now and wow, they are so quick steering, change the bike handling a lot. Also been fire trailing on muddy sandy paths and they were great there too...

Nothing to dislike yet, and a great chunky tread so the bonus is they look more in keeping with the bike if aesthetics ad cosmetics are your bag... not particularly mine.

Only slightly nervous about longevity as I got through an Avon rear once in 1500 miles on a KTM SMR 690 before the Tiger... not same tyre though, and reports on various other forums and here read well

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 01:56:38 PM »
Couple of guys have the Avon Trailriders on their S10`s and love them. Will give them a go on mine when the Roadsmart 3`s are gone.

Online davexavier

• Tiger Member
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »
Thank you all.

I hadn't come across them before. However a 70 mile jaunt around West Sussex' back roads yesterday, on dirt, leaves and gravel and damp road conditions in parts. The tyres held well and gave superb grip.

So a thumbs up from me. My only desire is that they last well too. But there is plenty of tread on them and I suspect they have a way to go before they give out.

My main concern is the 12.000 miles service, but I won't hit that until next year I suspect. I have 10.700 miles and my riding will lessen as we go into our winter.

Dave :417:
Born To Be Mild

Recent Topics