Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The old question of MPG and the Tiger  (Read 3450 times)

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger ABS
The old question of MPG and the Tiger
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
I am a 1 week old Tiger 800 rider. So I have a 2013 model, the bike seems to use fuel quickly. I am probably rather spoiled as I used to own a V Strom which regularly returned brilliant mpg.

My Tiger is only 10,500 miles and seems in great condition. I was just a bit surprised that I've filled up a bit. I don't have actual figures but I tend to ride sensibly and don't ride like a crazy thing. I am using the average mpg feature but not measured it from the odometer.

What do others get?

Is there a good way to maximise mpg?

I understand the 2015 models are better for economy?

Peoples views and experiences welcome.

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Online Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRx Low 2017
Re: The old question of MPG and the Tiger
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:32:23 PM »
Yes. 2015 models are more fuel efficient, reputedly.
My new Xrx returns the following in 4500 miles since April 2017:-

With Panniers, Top box and camping gear: around 54 mpg. NB; Mixed Mways, A and B roads to and fro Western Isles.

With just me and Top box on ride outs: around 65 mpg. NB; Mostly A, B & C roads.

My average speeds are usually 34 to 36 mph.

Not a boy racer, eh!

Regards

Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT & a Tiger 800 XrX low.

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiggerton [+]
Yes. 2015 models are more fuel efficient, reputedly.
My new Xrx returns the following in 4500 miles since April 2017:-

With Panniers, Top box and camping gear: around 54 mpg. NB; Mixed Mways, A and B roads to and fro Western Isles.

With just me and Top box on ride outs: around 65 mpg. NB; Mostly A, B & C roads.

My average speeds are usually 34 to 36 mph.

Not a boy racer

Tiggerton,

thanks for that.

I guess I'll have to maximise what I've got. I like the bike, just a little bit surprised how thirsty it is. I am no speed merchant, as a mature biker I like to get out and about, but I don't cane the beast.

Tips for better mpg welcome. Except 'keep it in the garage', that's not acceptable.  :017:

Dave

Regards
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:56:08 PM by davexavier »
Born To Be Mild

Offline grandad

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 venom yellow
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
Don't know exact figures as I use my bike for recreational purposes only and as such if I can have a 3/4000 toy sat in the garage for occasionally use then I'm not going to worry too much about a couple of MPG difference between totally differing bikes. I do reset my trip when I top up and always get between 200/220 miles to each tank full.

Grandad.
Enjoy your bike, even if it's a 20 year old Honda cub or the latest track tool, it's still a bike. Too many bike snobs out there for my liking.

Offline maninthejar

• Tiger Member
  • Last of the teenage idols
  • Bike: STR + Tiger XRX
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »
 I'm guessing the Tiger is a bit like the Street Triple in that the early twin exhaust bikes are noticably more thirsty than the later 2013+ bikes with the underslung exhaust. A lot of that seems to be down to the ECU. Maybe they applied the lessons learned there when they revised the Tiger in 2015.

In my case I have averaged around 55mpg in my first 750 miles with the XRx (Arrow slip on with modified baffle and Arrow map).

By comparison I average around 45mpg on the Street Triple (Arrow slip on with no baffle + Arrow map) and my CBF1000 returned a similar figure.

I'm pleading the 5th amendment on speed but suffice to say I make progress when it is safe to do so. My mileage is spread over city commuting, motorways and longer A road journeys.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by grandad [+]
Don't know exact figures as I use my bike for recreational purposes only and as such if I can have a 3/4000 toy sat in the garage for occasionally use then I'm not going to worry too much about a couple of MPG difference between totally differing bikes. I do reset my trip when I top up and always get between 200/220 miles to each tank full.

Grandad.

Grandad,

fair comment. My 2013 V Strom 650 was a frugal beast, but your point is well made and the plus points of my Tiger are many not least a superb engine.

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by maninthejar [+]
I'm guessing the Tiger is a bit like the Street Triple in that the early twin exhaust bikes are noticably more thirsty than the later 2013+ bikes with the underslung exhaust. A lot of that seems to be down to the ECU. Maybe they applied the lessons learned there when they revised the Tiger in 2015.

In my case I have averaged around 55mpg in my first 750 miles with the XRx (Arrow slip on with modified baffle and Arrow map).

By comparison I average around 45mpg on the Street Triple (Arrow slip on with no baffle + Arrow map) and my CBF1000 returned a similar figure.

I'm pleading the 5th amendment on speed but suffice to say I make progress when it is safe to do so. My mileage is spread over city commuting, motorways and longer A road journeys.

Good points. Yes the 2015 was rejigged and apparently does get some better mpg. I suppose it's like a pretty girl, she may have some defects , but the overall impression is good; if that's not too sexist  :430:

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »
My 63 plate XC is regularly returning 49 or 50 mpg. Same 55 mile journey everyday pretty much all fast A road and motorway.

I know that if I stuck to 60 mph all the way I'd get a much better figure.

Interestingly, Tesco fuel always gives me 46 or 47 MPG.

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
My 63 plate XC is regularly returning 49 or 50 mpg. Same 55 mile journey everyday pretty much all fast A road and motorway.

I know that if I stuck to 60 mph all the way I'd get a much better figure.

Interestingly, Tesco fuel always gives me 46 or 47 MPG.

Thats good, like I mentioned the old V Strom 650 is a frugal beast. The Tiger is a beautiful machine and different to the 650 V twin.

One day we'll all be on electric bikes anyway  :451:

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 12:41:28 AM »
Traded mi 2011 Tiger 800R in May for a 2017 XRX. The former got 43-45 mpg. the XRX gets 55-59 mpg. Mind you these numbers reflect US gallons. The cost differential is of no consequence for me but getting an extra 40-80 miles before fill-up is a nice bonus.

Chico

Recent Topics

winded-staunch