Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The old question of MPG and the Tiger  (Read 3148 times)

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger ABS
Re: The old question of MPG and the Tiger
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Fair enough, the 2015 on models get a better mpg by 17% to 21% depending on which test you read (one was a UK test the other was a US based mpg test).

So you're going to get a much better mpg anyway I would think.

Like I said in an earlier post I am annoyed that I didn't find out the Tiger's thirst before I purchased my 2013 model.

I like the bike but I may have dug a bit deeper and got a 2015 onward road Tiger 800.

Dave  :300:
Born To Be Mild

Offline Pailton

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 01:12:18 AM »
Fuel consumption is all about speed, weather, weight, throttle position, gradient, friction, idling and a whole list of other variables to analyse it in too much detail.  :173:

I've had to fill up at 150 miles before then other times I get just over 200 miles out of a tank,  :138:

like I say way to many variables to worry about.

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Pailton [+]
Fuel consumption is all about speed, weather, weight, throttle position, gradient, friction, idling and a whole list of other variables to analyse it in too much detail.  :173:

I've had to fill up at 150 miles before then other times I get just over 200 miles out of a tank,  :138:

like I say way to many variables to worry about.

Agreed.

It's also about engineering and Triumph were open to criticism of the Tiger's fuel consumption and addressed it in the 2015 revamp. See here....

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/13547/2015-triumph-tiger-800-review/

:417:

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2017, 07:38:59 AM »
See here I have cut & pasted the relevant bit for you....

''new engine theres a change to the cam profiles, increasing lift for more engine efficiency. In fact, Triumph claims that fuel consumption has improved by a huge 21%: on the semi-urban cycle defined by the United States FTP75 regulation, the new Tiger 800 delivered 58mpg. On the European GTR2 test cycle, economy improved by a still impressive 17% from 55mpg to 65mpg, meaning a potential range of up to 272 miles.''

:001:
Born To Be Mild

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
For the record......

mixed mainly urban and some rural riding......

2013 Tiger 800

Covered 192 miles between fill up (measured and checked etc.)

equates to 52.4 miles per (imperial ) gallon

This is my first measurement exercise and seems to tally with what others get. I expect on a run I'd get into the mid or even high 50 miles per gallon. Given the bikes reputation as a gas guzzler I suppose 52 mpg isn't bad as a fair bit of the mileage was stop start. I could have broken the 200 miles to the tank goal, but I didn't have my top box on and no spare petrol can to top me up, but the read out light said another 17 miles to go; it counts you down ! Don't know how accurate this is!

I can only dream about the Suzuki V Strom with it's petrol avoiding high 60s mpg. Never mind.  :157: It's one of life's little frustrations. Only got the 12,000 service to look forward to  :431: Oh yes, the heated grips have broken and the dealer doesn't give a s**t.

How I wish I lived in the home of the free....................the land of cheap gas  :121:  :005:

Dave
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:01:58 PM by davexavier »
Born To Be Mild

Online steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
I  agree that the Tiger fails to make the impossible " perfect bike" status on fuel consumption and weight,  but I had all day to get from Plymouth to Lincolnshire,  so took it very steady and got 60+ mpg!
 usually it's low to mid 50s.  But the real reason for replying is to say that my mate had a 2011 XC and whenever we filled up  my 2013XC  always returned a slightly better mpg,  when he changed to a 2016 XC the situation reversed almost immediately and the gap between them increased as his became run in.
Our riding styles haven't changed so its clearly the design changes.
As previously mentioned,  the sound and ride of the Tiger makes up for it and you can't get anything out without putting something in!

Offline The Guru

• Tiger Member
  • TigerBaws.blogspot.co.uk
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC SE
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
I track my mileage and fuel and in the two years that I've owned my  2014 Tiger 800 XC SE I've noted the following.

Highest 57.3 mpg
Lowest 46.3 mpg
Average 50.2 mpg

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by steve@lincs [+]
I  agree that the Tiger fails to make the impossible " perfect bike" status on fuel consumption and weight,  but I had all day to get from Plymouth to Lincolnshire,  so took it very steady and got 60+ mpg!
 usually it's low to mid 50s.  But the real reason for replying is to say that my mate had a 2011 XC and whenever we filled up  my 2013XC  always returned a slightly better mpg,  when he changed to a 2016 XC the situation reversed almost immediately and the gap between them increased as his became run in.
Our riding styles haven't changed so its clearly the design changes.
As previously mentioned,  the sound and ride of the Tiger makes up for it and you can't get anything out without putting something in!

Thanks Steve

very good point. My 52 mpg is only one tankful and it is mainly stop - start stuff on British urban semi-urban roads. You know what it's like in the UK  :015: I envy our US cousins who often appear to have empty highways and well tarmac laid roads. Again our roads in the UK are sometime WW1 crater ways.  :013: If we only used road tax for keeping roads in good order. Rant over.

The Tiger 800 has character (lots of it) and I've only owned it for a couple of week but what has impressed is the build quality. The character and the sheer presence of an 800 which appears to have considerable 'road presence'.

I have the inconvenience of after market heated grips burning out (Oxfords ordered) and I will be asking the dealer to fit them for free (I paid for the grips).

Plus I have the 'privilege' of looking forward to the 12,000 service and oh almost forgot the bike is an ''import'' bought in Belgium by a Brit who then had it registered over here in the UK, but exactly the same as a UK model (I think).

But overall I'm pleased as I got a 2013 ABS for 4,700. It had 10,400 miles on it when i bought it.

Dave

:460:
Born To Be Mild

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2017, 07:03:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by The Guru [+]
I track my mileage and fuel and in the two years that I've owned my  2014 Tiger 800 XC SE I've noted the following.

Highest 57.3 mpg
Lowest 46.3 mpg
Average 50.2 mpg

Thanks Andy

that's helpful, cheers mate.

Dave  :017:
Born To Be Mild

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »
I track my mileage on fuely.com purely for interest. I don't care how much it uses.
Almost the full two years, just over 12k miles tracked. 2016 Tiger XRt returning the following.

65 fuel ups
Best 64.2 mpg
Worst 47.8 mpg
Average 55.6 mpg

I usually get the best figures when out on a decent days mileage ride with the lively SW Crew.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics