Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Andreani Install XRX  (Read 713 times)

Online davamb

• Tiger Pro
  • Today will be difficult, but tomorrow- good riding
  • Bike: 800 XRx
Andreani Install XRX
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »
Any details on installing Andreani cartridges on an XRX? Suspension virgin here and the translated-from-Italian instructions are a bit ... unclear and obscure. Am not mechanically incompetent, have a decent workshop and prepared to have a bash at it, but any and all up-front advice appreciated. For example the need to use Ohlins oil - is there a generic fork oil equivalent? I have some 10 and 15 weight Castrol fork oil.
Cheers,
Dave

Online davamb

• Tiger Pro
Re: Andreani Install XRX
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »
Ok, so I'm having a bash at it, forks out and dismantled and ready to install the Andreanis.
Trouble is they specify Ohlins 01309-01, a 5 weight oil with a viscosity figure cSt of 19 at 40 Celsius.
I cannot locate a retailer for Ohlins fork oil here is Aus. Couple in the States and, as usual, the shipping cost exceeds the product cost. I'm also impatient and want to get this job rolling!
I can buy Belray HV1 5Weight here which has a cSt of 19.5 at 40C, but I've no idea how much the change in viscosity would matter.
Alternatively, I can buy some 4W and 5W oils and mix them - if the final viscosity ends up as the per-unit mix of oils.
That is, the 4W has cSt of 16 and the 5W has cSt of 22. Mixed together in equal quantities, will this result in a cSt of 19?
The oil weight would also end up at 4.5 - I know you can mix to get this, but is this more important than the viscosity?
Anyone able to shed any light on this?
Cheers,
Dave

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:18 AM »
I also was instructed to use 5w oil when I replaced the fork internals, don't think it makes much difference what make it is as long as it is a good quality.

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:14:16 AM »
davamb do the  Andreani cartridges come assembled?

Chico

Offline tripletour

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: zx6r rd250 T800
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »
Hi davamb. A while ago I was trying to find the correct viscosity oil for my ZX6R and came up with this chart. Unfortunately it doesn't include Ohlins or any oil that is precisely cSt of 19 but may help.

http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycles/fork-oil.html

As you can see the manufacturers nominal viscosity is not an accurate guide to fork oil properties.

Please let us know how the cartridges change the tiger after you have finished the upgrade. I would like to make the high speed  handling  of my roadie a bit more secure.

Online davamb

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »
Hi Chico,

yep, they come assembled, but you've got to part disassemble them to install into the forks and the bleed air out. No big deal - so far.

Thanks TripleTour,

I've increased my oil knowledge substantially over the last couple of days! Dashed out to go and buy some oil from the local bike supermarket during lunch minute today - online reported they have the Motorex 5W and in stock. Get there to find that no, they only stock 15W! No fuggin use at all. But they can get Ohlins for me. Great, a month wait and you chuck on your margin? No, they can have it in-store tomorrow. About 25% more expensive than the Motorex, but hey - who cares. At least with the exact oil in use there'll be one less variable involved in getting them set up!

I'll certainly post up my observations when back on the road. I've also ordered a Wilbers rear shock. Lashed out and ordered the remote preload adjust option - but still a couple of weeks off as they're configured to requirements and then shipped.

Assembled the new carts into my forks last night, so just have to add oil and re-assemble. Just need to make an oil level thingy now. Should have grabbed some pics of what I've done to make a "How-To", but these parts are clearly marked "for racing only" so you really wouldn't want them in your daily rider now would you.
Cheers,
Dave

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
My 2011 R had the Wilbers. When I traded it for the 2017 XRX I removed the shock and have it fitted. Nice add-on.

Chico

Online davamb

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 05:31:18 AM »
Forks reassembled, but the village idiot failed to record how much the fork tube tops protruded through the top triple clamp - if at all. If someone with a stock XRx could measure I'd much appreciate it. Won't make that much diff, but will remove one variable in initial setup.
Cheers,
Dave

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 05:55:16 AM »
4 mm davamb. I ordered the Andreani forks yesterday. I might have to wait till spring to fit them, it's getting too cold here to work in the garage for any length of time. :190:

Chico
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:00:07 AM by chico »

Online davamb

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »
Thanks Chico, much appreciated. I've set them up flush but will set 4mm tomorrow morning and go test ride. Too hot and bothered now, so going swimming. Didn't realise they were SFFs, going to be fun setting them up.

Maybe I better write down all I did before it slips through my sieve brain. Couple of points worth knowing for others doing this mod. Pretty straight forward though.

Looks like my Wilbers rear shock will arrive next week too. Fun times are coming!
Cheers,
Dave

Recent Topics

winded-staunch