Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OE Bash plate replacement Triumph aluminium.......  (Read 430 times)

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger ABS
OE Bash plate replacement Triumph aluminium.......
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
Just replaced my OE bash plate for the Triumph aluminium one.

Nice quality with new one, but what struck me was how light and solid the old one was. Very tough plastic and on a 2013 bike it had stood up to 4 years of abuse brilliantly. Here is my new kit which is a nice addition IMHO  :017:

Close up detail

Dave
Born To Be Mild

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: OE Bash plate replacement Triumph aluminium.......
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:04:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by davexavier [+]
Just replaced my OE bash plate for the Triumph aluminium one.
Nice quality with new one, but what struck me was how light and solid the old one was. Very tough plastic and on a 2013 bike it had stood up to 4 years of abuse brilliantly.
Yep, big, alu, skidplates look the business -- but, Dakar bikes (KTM, Honda, etc.) use plastic ones made of advanced ultralight composite materials reinforced by carbon and aramid fibres -- provides a composite skid plate with longer life and greater strength in comparison with the aluminum skid plate.
Don't bin that original/stock skidplate -- someday folks may be replacing alu with composite (plastic)..?  :114:
I've ridden all-around the United States and parts of Arkansas.

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Yep, big, alu, skidplates look the business -- but, Dakar bikes (KTM, Honda, etc.) use plastic ones made of advanced ultralight composite materials reinforced by carbon and aramid fibres -- provides a composite skid plate with longer life and greater strength in comparison with the aluminum skid plate.
Don't bin that original/stock skidplate -- someday folks may be replacing alu with composite (plastic)..?  :114:

Yep, I think you're right. The modern plastics are really well engineered these days.

Thanks for the informative information. I will definitely hang on to the OE bash plate. Well impressed with it's build quality.

I just liked the aluminium look all about appearances what a numpty  :038: I am.

Dave  :002:
Born To Be Mild

Offline Dandy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Roadie
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »
Yep the alloy bash plates look the business alright,  be prepared for lots of cleaning and polishing.  :006:

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dandy [+]
Yep the alloy bash plates look the business alright,  be prepared for lots of cleaning and polishing.  :006:

Auto Sol metal polish is at the ready sir  :156: :181:

Dave  :017:
Born To Be Mild

Offline Greg

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger 800 No2.. Scrambler.. Mahoosive Yamaha
  • Bike: Tiger 800...
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
Also get one of those whizzy mop things for your drill.. Makes it a bit less of a chore!

Greg
It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.
Hugh Laurie

Offline davexavier

• Tiger Pro
  • Born To Be Mild
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greg [+]
Also get one of those whizzy mop things for your drill.. Makes it a bit less of a chore!

Greg

On the Christmas list  :156:

Dave  :046:
Born To Be Mild

Online Tiggerton

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XRx Low 2017
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
Although the Ally variety look the business they cannot support a jack (so Triumph tell us) which pisses me off having an Xrx low minus a centre stand so one wonders about their  perceived ruggedness.

Regards
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT & a Tiger 800 XrX low.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch