Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Smart Turn System  (Read 2511 times)

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Smart Turn System
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 09:03:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by philmcglass [+]
Disagree.
Pretty sure that none of the original connectors have any solder. They are all crimped.
Using solder will create a stress point where the tinning ends and the strands can flex and eventually break.
With a proper crimping tool done correctly will not fail.

Soldering was / is the preferred method in the RAF.  Heck you could fail after a year and a half it was so important.  Even in BDR (battle damage repair) it was considered the superior joint.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
Crimps have been preferred in critical applications for a long time now due to the issues Phil mentions. A good crimp depends on using the correct size terminals for the wire and the correct tool though.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 06:30:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Yup,

An answer to a problem that doesn't exist.  If I want to inform those behind that I'm slowing down I use my brakes.
and most likely such a system is illegal
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 10:18:27 PM »
Seeing as this topic has been revived, I shall mention that I fitted a STS to the Scrambler. It's pretty good - not brilliant at detecting lane changes but good for other manoeuvres. The modification to the switch on the Scrambler is to put a little rubber sponge in either side so the switch doesn't latch, which also means you have to give a pretty positive push to the switch to get it to make contact. I find I'm forever checking the idiot lights after switching the indicators on to make sure that they are on.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »
I now have one for sale as my XRX has self cancelling indicators.
Had it fitted on 2013 ABS and worked well.
Find the Line

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 05:08:07 PM »
I do wonder if the soldering issues have come to the fore with the introduction of lead free solder. I've heard lots of tales that LFS is a problem over time, leading to premature death of electronics.
Stick to full fat solder with lead seems to be the pros advice. Full fat solder can be bought from the usual scumbags on fleabag or one of the Chinese scam sites.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 10:37:48 AM »
Lead-free isn't the problem (although it's true that it's more difficult to use correctly), it's that a stress concentration is created at the end of the solder fill which causes fatigue failures and a soldered joint has higher resistance than a good crimp because solder isn't a particularly good conductor.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
What you say ^^^ has some merit: ages ago, when first instructed on soldering wires, was told that you first must make a good "mechanical" connection of the wires -- bare, clean, and twisted together.
Years later, having been tempted by the 3M Scotchlok shortcut:

I was complaining to an engineer of my ambivalence for them b/c of needing re-visits. He explained that they were recco'd by industry and that my issues may have centered around insulation and stress-relief?
I now take their use more seriously and don't consider them the magic problem solver for wiring connections.
IOW, they have their place -- as do other forms of wiring connection (solder&heatshrink, crimped&heatshrink, etc).
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

winded-staunch