Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger popping noise  (Read 481 times)

Offline Gebrauchtwagen83

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xc
Tiger popping noise
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
Hi chaps.
Recently got back into the tiger 800xc fold after a couple of years away flirting with
Gss
My previous one was a 2013 and this one is a 2011. My question is, when engine breaking there is a metallic popping burbling sound which I dont remember on my previous one and to be honest dont remember when I picked this one up. It is constant whenever the bike doesnt have the gas on and is engine breaking as if its running rich. Also the bike seems a bit snatchy compared to my memory of the previous one, gas is on or off.
Is this all normal or should I get something tweaked on it?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

Offline ccmp

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 800 xc
Re: Tiger popping noise
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »
Popping on deceleration is normal. The throttle on the older models would be known as being snatchy. Somebody else may have ideas on adjustment / map.

Offline Gebrauchtwagen83

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by ccmp [+]
Popping on deceleration is normal. The throttle on the older models would be known as being snatchy. Somebody else may have ideas on adjustment / map.

Much appreciated thanks for the reassurance and help

Online Turbo100

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
Yes it's perfectly normal, characteristic noise on most if not all on the Tigers.
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was.

Offline Gebrauchtwagen83

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
 :028: thanks chaps. I thought Id check because it wasnt the occasional pop or bang like youd get on a 660 tenere. Its a constant popping on engine breaking .

Online Turbo100

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gebrauchtwagen83 [+]
:028: thanks chaps. I thought I’d check because it wasn’t the occasional pop or bang like you’d get on a 660 tenere. It’s a constant popping on engine breaking .

It's all part of the engine's orchestral repertoire :-)

(It could indicate an air leak on the exhaust system if it loud and constant, but very likely normal.
Try put the palm of your hand over the end of the can to block it at tick over and see if you can detect any "hiss" on the system, if you can't enjoy the music)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:46:39 AM by Turbo100 »
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was.

Offline craggsy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC800
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 06:36:26 PM »
+1 for air leak in pipes.
Check all joints are sealed
If leaking, possible fuel mix is too lean and then ignites in the can with popping.

However, a burble is a normal triple kind of thing  :007:

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
The original fuel map was probably the most pronounced, maybe it's still on that?  I love it  :001:
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Turbo100 [+]
Yes it's perfectly normal, characteristic noise on most if not all on the Tigers.

All pre 2015 model ones. Unfortunately they mapped it out in the 2015 model update. They also fixed the snatchy throttle when they introduced fly by wire.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »
:0461: ... never had a single pop from my (standard) Tiger XRt ... I'd recognise if I did having put a SC Projects Conic can on my 2013 Street Triple, that was a symphony of sound, intake whistle and ultra exhaust popping.  :123:

... oh ... but it did my head in on what would only be considered a short to medium run on a Tiger, so 100% standard can staying on the Tiger.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics