Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Peg scraping  (Read 5792 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 771
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2018, 05:44:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by redb4 [+]
I didn't have to check my tyre.  The hero blobs on my foot pegs told me I was at the limit.

I think the point jacknzone was trying to make was, are you grounding out before riding the edge of the tyre?

Easy to check if shorter springs have been fitted, measure against another.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Jacknzone

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 18
  • Jacknzone
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger XR
  • Location: New Zealand
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I think the point jacknzone was trying to make was, are you grounding out before riding the edge of the tyre?

Easy to check if shorter springs have been fitted, measure against another.

Thank you Paulhere you hit the nail on the head with your post cheers

Offline redb4

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Location: BC Canada
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 03:28:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by redb4 [+]
I didn't have to check my tyre.  The hero blobs on my foot pegs told me I was at the limit.

I may have been a little short with my comment.  My bike is new off the floor, so no susp mods.
I just checked for chicken strips.  Hard to say, but I think non on front, and 1/2" to 5/8" on back.

If I remember right. The 800 Xr rear is over damped on the rebound.  If this is true, perhaps the road leading up to the peg scraping has a bit to do about it.  If the rear damper does not allow the spring to come back to ride hight in the proper manner, the pegs will be lower.
Just a thought.

Offline Jacknzone

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 18
  • Jacknzone
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger XR
  • Location: New Zealand
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2018, 05:36:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by redb4 [+]
I may have been a little short with my comment.  My bike is new off the floor, so no susp mods.
I just checked for chicken strips.  Hard to say, but I think non on front, and 1/2" to 5/8" on back.

If I remember right. The 800 Xr rear is over damped on the rebound.  If this is true, perhaps the road leading up to the peg scraping has a bit to do about it.  If the rear damper does not allow the spring to come back to ride hight in the proper manner, the pegs will be lower.
Just a thought.

My Tiger is 2017 XRT and my tyre on the front has a very thin non wear mark and on rear tyre about 1/2" (chicken strips) no scraping of pegs and I do carry luggage The damper is set on solo riding  spring preload of 30 from the factory. you have to changes this setting when you have passenger and luggage the setting is 0 , Owner's Handbook pages 137, 138
The rear suspension basic on the XR models 

Offline Bonoeuf

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: Yam Tracer 900
  • Location: Durham
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »
I have no chicken strips on the back. I had none on my 1200 tiger either and never got the pegs on the floor once. Still not got round to changing the dog bones.
I do not like work, but it pays for my toys.

Offline Pailton

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 323
  • Bike: XRT
  • Location: Leicester
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:22 AM »
I've got to the stage when I'm having a spirited ride i'll lean off the bike to keep it more up right.  :125:

I'm on my second set of hero blobs, tried lifting my foot off the peg whilst cornering so the peg can spring up but that gets annoying.

When I had the panniers on the floor and lifting the back wheel up I decided that was getting silly and that I needed to lean more.   :087: or get a different bike.  :191:


Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 771
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Pailton [+]
I've got to the stage when I'm having a spirited ride i'll lean off the bike to keep it more up right.  :125:

Barry Sheene used to do it like that. Likely he knew what he was doing anorl eh.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline redb4

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
  • Location: BC Canada
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2018, 02:50:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jacknzone [+]
My Tiger is 2017 XRT and my tyre on the front has a very thin non wear mark and on rear tyre about 1/2" (chicken strips) no scraping of pegs and I do carry luggage The damper is set on solo riding  spring preload of 30 from the factory. you have to changes this setting when you have passenger and luggage the setting is 0 , Owner's Handbook pages 137, 138
The rear suspension basic on the XR models
I all ready have the preload at max.  I have been riding with the same group for 5 years.  I have never had a problem keeping up.  On the Xrx I am dragging the pegs in an effort to do so.  Same load as bikes before.

Its easy to see that we may not ride with the same road conditions.  Mine my be off camber compared to yours, my corners tighter, etc.

 My complaint is, this bike drags the pegs, at the same loads, the same speeds, and the same roads as past bikes have not.

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 771
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »
Stronger spring required? Might help, but it aint a sports bike, it has a whole load of suspension travel we might like to get rid of for a bit of sports riding. Horses for courses innit.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Bonoeuf

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: Yam Tracer 900
  • Location: Durham
Re: Peg scraping
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
Problem solved, changed the bike. I bought a Yamaha 900 Tracer, more sport orientated. Less farkles but does what I want until I get bored with it. I might try the Yiger 1050 sport or if funds allow later a new lighter TEX XRT. Too many bikes never enough money or time.
I do not like work, but it pays for my toys.

 


Recent Topics