Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Switchbacks...Strange question  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Switchbacks...Strange question
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »
The hardknott at speed, ha. I reached the top on my ST955 to see the chassis of a car coming up other way, he couldn't see me, he cut the corner, I went wide on other side, lucky that day. Another car stuffed up the banking with exhaust buried & one front wheel off the deck, going nowhere.

Nowt compared to the Stelvio.

On a bad day
/>
And on a better day by the Missenden Flyer

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: T800 FZ1N CBR929
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
I did it on my Fz1n at stupid speeds trying to chase down my mate. I must admit it was bloody dangerous I was riding at 110% of my ability to fast to be honest all the way to lake Windermere. Did it again on the tiger 800 a lot slower but still faster than I liked To be honest and was only my second time on the tiger and had hand pump car drivers stopping on the tight up grade bits so was hard to hold bike up in one or two places. On the lighter more nimble Fz1n we ride it like we are on a track. But on the tiger a LOT SLOWER. Fun ride mind you. Apple cross pass is really fun at speeds did that on the fz1 passing the touring bikes like they were standing still ( I know twat ) also did apple cross pass on the xt660x again you can really beat up it on that bike as well. Going again at beginning of June (bank holiday) on the xt660r this time and doing the coast road back best ride I have ever done just love it part of the NW500 route. Just stunning.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:48:18 PM by ENGLISHBANDIT »
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 08:11:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Here ya go biscut1975, loadsa good folk there. Just bring yer tent & come fer a beer or more.

Copied from TOMCC What's on section.
May 18 - 20 West Wales Branch Event WEST WALES 7th INTERNATIONAL - WATOC RALLY
At Aberaeron Rugby Club, Ceredigion, Wales,. SA46 0DY - Two Saturday ride outs - "The Devils Staircase", by popular demand. Rocket III's beware! Dare you be seen in Dragon country?

Awesome, sounds like a plan...you are on...looking at tents now :-) thanks very much

Offline Slaine

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
To put things in perspective, I first hit the Alps over 20 years ago on a 1982 Honda GL1100 Goldwing, my mates were all on R1100GSs and the like. Needless to say I was always last up and last down the passes, not because I was in any way slow but the brakes on the Goldwing were pretty much shot on every pass,with the disks getting way too hot and on the one or two occasions on the downhill sections I actually had zero braking and had to wait until they had cooled.
I think I can safely say losing your brakes is way more scary than the corners, which if you follow the rules are not that hard.

I can say that every other bike I have driven since then in the alps has beeen a doddle, they have been lighter and no brake fading.

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Slaine [+]
To put things in perspective, I first hit the Alps over 20 years ago on a 1982 Honda GL1100 Goldwing, my mates were all on R1100GSs and the like. Needless to say I was always last up and last down the passes, not because I was in any way slow but the brakes on the Goldwing were pretty much shot on every pass,with the disks getting way too hot and on the one or two occasions on the downhill sections I actually had zero braking and had to wait until they had cooled.
I think I can safely say losing your brakes is way more scary than the corners, which if you follow the rules are not that hard.

I can say that every other bike I have driven since then in the alps has beeen a doddle, they have been lighter and no brake fading.

And by follow the rules you mean...don't fall off and don't stall the engine? :-) ha ha

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 06:04:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by biscut1975 [+]
And by follow the rules you mean...don't fall off and don't stall the engine? :-) ha ha

That's rules two and three, rule one is look the way you want to go.

Personally, I hate hairpins (the English word for the American term "switchback" - I thought the OP meant he wanted a road that went up and down a lot, like the very three-dimensional A515 from Ashbourne to Buxton). I found that following rule one got me round them, but I don't see them as in the slightest bit entertaining. However, for those that crave 180 degree bends, one of Visordown's best biking roads was full of them:

/>
I think I'll be giving it a miss.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by biscut1975 [+]

Surprising how many people forget they have a clutch

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 07:34:19 PM »
The only half decent road in those vids was the Welsh one but I'd bet there's mobile cameras on that regular.
Loads of better roads in the Peak District, just get off the A roads. I can go from home to Matlock Bath 38 miles & hardly seeing another vehicle. Similar roads in the Yorkshire Dales, & lots more in Scotland like the Kinlochleven loop & Kintyre.

Trouble is, the good rides get posted up in these mags then they're spoilt by too many bikers coming along & crashing then we get speed cameras & reduced speed limits. I haven't ridden the Cat & Fiddle for years, no point. They put Via Gellia & Long hill in MCN, then plod is there, spoilt those for us.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch