Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise control again  (Read 4267 times)

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
Cruise control again
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
i have now had my 66 plate XRT for three weeks and have not been able to engage the cruise control. This is the system where you have to press the set- button twice to activate it. When I first press the set- button the cruise symbol appears on the lcd display. when I do the second press set speed should be displayed in the lcd and the green cruise light should come up on the clock but nothing happens.I am using standard rider mode and am trying to activate the cruise at 60mph in 5th gear on the dual carriageway.

I spoke to the dealer today and he said that it is most likely that I am resting my foot lightly on the the rear brake, have a stuck rear brake, or need better throttle control to keep a static speed to activate the cruise function.

I know im not riding the brake and I have no permanent brake light so assume the brake is not stuck so perhaps my throttle control is not good enough at the moment, but is the system that sensitive?

If I cant get it working on my next trip I think I will drop it off at the dealer in Plymouth and ask them to look at it.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: Cruise control again
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »
It it's anything like the cruise control thatthey fitted to the Mk1 Explorer, the brake & clutch levers have secondary switches built-in for cancelling the cruise control function, so you wouldn't notice your brake light coming on. It's possible that one of these (or the forward throttle sensor) is triggered. Your dealer should be able to plug-in and check that all of these switches are operating correctly.

Have you also checked that the cruise control on/off button is pushed in?

p.s. I can't see anywhere in the 800 manual where it says that you have to press the Set- button twice, and where the CC symbol appears on the LCD, but that could just be omissions in the manual.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 06:34:59 PM »
Hi T800xc. There is no on off button on the 16/17 model it has been replaced by the hazard warning button. There is now only the set- and res+ toggle button and the cruise control according to my manual is activated by one press of the set- button and set by a second press of the same button. Speed is then altered as on the old model by using either the set- to reduce speed or the res+ to increase speed.

When cruise is activated a cruise symbol appears on the lcd panel and when the speed is set a green light should come on the clock display.
I have checked again tonight and I can clearly hear the brake pedal switch engage when the pedal is pressed so this is not stuck. I have also checked that the green cruise light works as it illuminates and goes out when the ignition is set to on.   

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by nigelw6 [+]
Hi T800xc. There is no on off button on the 16/17 model it has been replaced by the hazard warning button. There is now only the set- and res+ toggle button and the cruise control according to my manual is activated by one press of the set- button and set by a second press of the same button. Speed is then altered as on the old model by using either the set- to reduce speed or the res+ to increase speed.

When cruise is activated a cruise symbol appears on the lcd panel and when the speed is set a green light should come on the clock display.
I have checked again tonight and I can clearly hear the brake pedal switch engage when the pedal is pressed so this is not stuck. I have also checked that the green cruise light works as it illuminates and goes out when the ignition is set to on.

Ah, that makes more sense. It's the same setup as the Mk2 Explorers then, but when I downloaded the latest 800 owner's manual from Triumph earlier it still listed the old instructions. Anyway, get your dealer to check the switches, or if they won't help and you're heading anywhere near me then I could probably do it for you.

Offline chippy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
My 66 plate tiger is the same as yours and the cruise control is  very simple to use , it sounds like to me theres something wrong , take it back to the dealer , good luck

Online Mav

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
My 17 plate is dead easy to operate, no worrying how heavy you are on the throttle. take it back there is a fault somewhere.
2017 XRx
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:22:06 PM »
Thanks folks, I assume from your comments that I am trying to set cruise correctly using the process I described above. It seems strange that it recognises that I have tried to engage it as the symbol appears on the lcd display but it just does not activate on the second press. i can also see that  the green cruise light works as it illuminates upon ignition.

Looks like a trip to my local dealer at Plymouth. I didnt buy the bike from them so I hope they dont try to shrug off the warranty to the original dealer in Nottingham

Online D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
Try the reset sequence posted here by midwesttrekker:
Cruise control reset

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »
Went in to the Plymouth dealership today to resolve this cruise control issue and behold on the way there I get a malfunction light illuminate. Fortunately it was only 7 miles away from the dealer so I plodded on. They diagnosed a brake switch problem that requires a new switch which they have ordered. I got back home and on the way the MIL illuminates again. The dash reads error code P1577 Brake 2 switch correlation error with brake switch 1. hopefully that will resolve the cruise control issue but I will get them to test it next week before I leave.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »
Yep, that should sort it.

As-per my post above, there are secondary switches that are used by the cruise control system and it sounds like one of yours is 'dicky'.

Recent Topics