Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise control again  (Read 5152 times)

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xrt
Re: Cruise control again
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:25:18 PM »
What is strange is that before I left for Plymouth today I checked and there were no DTC's in memory. It was only during the 71 mile trip that the error light illuminated and also on the way back after it had been cleared. I dont understand why it had not illuminated on my previous 45 mile and 35 mile trips. If the switch is indeed faulty and is the cause of the cruise control never working why had'nt the MIL illuminated before and why was there no DTC this morning. Is it possible that the fault had occurred and cleared without illuminating the MIL? 

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
Because it's intermittently faulty.  Bane of my life.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
So the bike went back to Plymouth today for the replacement brake switch. they took it out for a test ride and when the cruise was engaged he said " the dash lit up like Blackpool illuminations and then the bike died. I heard his telephone callback to the office asking for the van to meet him. 15 minutes later he rides back into the workshop. Apparently I think he said that it had blown the ignition fuse.

So I now have a loan scrambler which is one of the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever ridden. They will give me a call once the bike has been stripped down and the fault found.

Its quite frustrating as I only bought the bike in December and I have done less that 500 miles and 250 of those are the two trips to the garage.

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
Latest update from Triumph Plymouth. They found that the loom has been moved and had caught the exhaust, melted and shorted causing the fuses to blow. They ordered a new loom and it was fitted today. They called me to confirm that the loom had been fitted but it still has the brake switch error. So now they are going to fit a donor brake switch that they know is working to see if the replacement switch was also faulty as they dont know what else to do.

So at what point do I say enough is enough I want a full refund for my purchase, compensation for the tax and insurance I am paying without having the bike and some compensation for the inconvenience caused as the bike should never have been sold in the state it was in.

Offline Turbo100

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Jedi
  • RIP
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 07:10:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by nigelw6 [+]
Latest update from Triumph Plymouth. They found that the loom has been moved and had caught the exhaust, melted and shorted causing the fuses to blow. They ordered a new loom and it was fitted today. They called me to confirm that the loom had been fitted but it still has the brake switch error. So now they are going to fit a donor brake switch that they know is working to see if the replacement switch was also faulty as they dont know what else to do.

So at what point do I say enough is enough I want a full refund for my purchase, compensation for the tax and insurance I am paying without having the bike and some compensation for the inconvenience caused as the bike should never have been sold in the state it was in.

What a terrible state of affairs.
If it was myself I would be asking for a FULL reimbursement tomorrow, I wouldn't want this bike now, it has too much untold history.
You need to put it in writing to the MD of the dealership, spell it out what you want and stick to your guns, I can see this isn't going to go down nicely with them, but stick to your guns.
Good luck

I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 09:26:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by nigelw6 [+]

if the bikes bad you have a case, its wierd why the looms been moved, I doubt the dealer noticed , they inspect bikes, but don't strip em down and fully check EVERYTHING before sale, its something you don't expect really.....it probably was nothing to do with the original fault anyway as the faults still present, its v possible the dealer dealing with the problem moved the loom,
 good luck with the tax, insurance and compensation claim, you have next to zero chance of that,

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 01:01:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Turbo100 [+]
You need to put it in writing to the MD of the dealership, spell it out what you want and stick to your guns, I can see this isn't going to go down nicely with them, but stick to your guns.

I would just like to point out that the Plymouth dealership have been trying to sort the bike (and may have possibly added to the problem) but it was purchased secondhand up the line and delivered to Cornwall and the very 1st post states the bike was faulty from the off of delivery. Who knows what the previous owner messed with before trading it in, possibly aware he'd messed the bike up? The selling dealer may have been aware and thought Xmas had come early when he sold it long distance? :027:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:26:52 AM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 03:21:09 PM »
quite possibly,
although god knows what anyone was thinking moving wiring nearer the hot exhaust

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »
Wiring is often secured with minimal ties (usual cost reasons) and can sometimes unwittingly be moved while hands are in awkward positions doing other tasks like servicing, washing & cleaning, fitting accessories, etc.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline nigelw6

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
 The bike was a demonstrator bought from the dealership in Nottingham then shipped down to Cornwall. Plymouth tell me that the Nottingham dealership confirmed that some work was done to the bike before it was delivered to me but what that was I can't recall. Anyway the good news today is that they fitted the donor switch and that works fine so the replacement switch is probably faulty. They test rode it for 40 miles and all functions including the non functioning cruise control now works.They have ordered a further replacement and the bike should be ready for collection on Saturday which is the earliest I can get to them.

Recent Topics