Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 XCX outfit for Alaska!  (Read 1515 times)

Offline LOKi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
Tiger 800 XCX outfit for Alaska!
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:36:18 PM »
Hello,

I have the opportunity to make the Dead Horse Alaska run from Colorado this summer and before doing so I want to upgrade a few things on the Tiger. I have a couple questions but first the desired setup.

Model: 2015 Tiger XCX

Already Installed:
- Heated grips
- SW-MOTECH pannier rack
- SW-MOTECH Top plate (Complete crap! Need a good replacement, more on that below)
- Fuse block (heated gear, grips with extra slots)
- Heated jacket plug in 
- Hepco Backer Tank protectors
- Tool Tube (Long enough for two tool rolls and a long tire iron.)
- BRP Hand Guard Mounts (Highly Recommended, makes bark busters stout. Get bar risers though because the clamp spacing does not match the stock bar clamps.)
- Bar Risers
- Bark Busters
- GPS / Phone Holders.

Upgrades wanted before trip:

1) Arrow Exhaust
2) Safari Tank (I want to get rid of all that crappy plastic around the tank. Might as well replace it with fuel)
3) Sargent Seat (Lower seat height by almost 1") Right now I barely touch the ground with a big toenail on each side but don't want to sacrifice any suspension travel.
4) New skins (TKC80's. Might order some non DOT serious off road knobbies delivered to a shop near the road leading to Dead Horse)

Luggage wanted:
Top Case: SW-MOTEC Trax EVO 39-Liter
Panniers:  SW-MOTECH Trax EVO 37-Liter x2
Tank Bag: Giant Loop Buckin' Roll Tank Bag (Safari Tank's filler cap/vent prevents using a standard tank bag)

Add-ons wanted:
Rotopax 1.75 or 1 gallon Fuel tank
Rotopax 1.75 or 1 gallon Water tank (Might just do two water tanks with that big Safari tank. Water is a constant issue bike camping)
Rotopax Pack Mount x 2
DrySpec Bottle Mount Kit x 2 (Stove Fuel, and Extra oil)
Auxiliary Driving Lights (brand not decided on yet)

Now for the questions part.

1) As mentioned above the SW-MOTECH top rack is complete crap. :151:  It would be fine if you never went off road but that isn't why I bough a Tiger. The problem is that it's just so thin and flimsy. One little jump with a relatively empty top box and the plate completely bent over dumping the top box on the trail. The box was light enough that I didn't even notice for a couple miles.  :138:

This is the type I'm talking about. Any suggestions on a better rack than this? If a good solution isn't available at a reasonable price I might just use the MOTECH plate as a template to have a rack welded up.

2) Pannier rack. The MOTECH rack fits the bike great. It provides a little space on the left for a tool tube and clears the very large stock exhaust on the right. But the Arrow exhaust is much slimmer. Is there a rack that fits the Arrow exhaust that is symmetrical on both sides? I don't like asymmetrical luggage nor do I need that much storage space on a bike. I would like to find a symmetrical solution that fits the SW-MOTECH Panniers. Any suggestions?   

3) Any other suggestions on equipment I might need? Am I forgetting something?

Thanks

Ride fast, take chances.

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
Re: Tiger 800 XCX outfit for Alaska!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:52:57 AM »
Two things from your upgrades wanted list you may want to reconsider:

I'd hold off on the Arrow can and tune until after the trip - your gas milage will suffer substantially over the stock can and tune, and it can be a long way between gas stations ... even with the added capacity of the Safari tank ...  Not clear that for the riding you will be doing that you will gain anything from the Arrow can. 

Might want to consider Heidenau K60's rather than TKC 80's as they will last substantially longer.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:42:23 AM »
Have a look at the Altrider or Rally Raid rear plates

You could look at slinging the tool tubes underneath the panniers

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Psychopasta

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:19 PM »
On the SW-Motech top plate, is it possible that there was, er, installation error? Just askin'...

- P

Offline LOKi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
RaglandT,

Do you have any numbers on the MPG difference? The main reason I want to go with an after market exhaust is to adjust the rack to be symmetrical. Little extra HP doesn't hurt either. Not that it's critical for this trip. I could go ahead and do extra fuel/water attached to the top box if it doesn't look like I'll make the miles.

As for those Heidenaus, I like the grip and they handle well, but the sidewall on those things are hard like a tractor tire. I stopped using them when I couldn't break the bead on the first set. If I need to fix a flat on the trail I would be boned with those tires unless someone comes by in a jeep or something so I can use the weight of a 4 wheel vehicle to pop the bead. In the end I didn't really get that much more life out of them. Maybe a couple K more at most.

Rtwo,

I cut a 3" PVC tube and make a bracket for it that fits behind the left pannier rack. I even got a roll of carbon fiber pattern sticker to make the tube look cool. The tube is long enough for a full size tire iron. Two tool rolls slide inside. The bottom roll holds the big tools for major mechanical work and tires, the top roll holds all the little tools that are needed more often.

Psychopasta,

I'll double check my instillation but as a designer I would never design a flat plate with only a small 40 bend on the sides to carry any kind of load. With a 30lb static load the plate would hold but 30lbs turns into 100lbs+ quickly if the load drops a few feet then suddenly stops. As when going over the little whops and gunning it on top so the bike comes down flat. I'll try to get a picture of the carnage. I bent the thing back with the large tire iron but it's mangled to sh*t.

Thanks for the input.

Ride fast, take chances.

Offline Psychopasta

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:36:20 AM »
Fair enough. I must say, I do like to see a well-loaded Tiger. Good luck with your trip!

Offline Psychopasta

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 03:38:10 AM »
Wait...no Madstad screen! Are you mad, sir?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:19 AM »
Plenty of posts here re Arrow exhaust with/without arrow tune.  With the tune you get a couple of extra HP.  You also take a hit in the consumption, which is variable, but can be as much as 5mpg.

With the standard tune the Arrow runs fine and you keep your fuel consumption.

Alternatively fit something like a Scorpion (personal experience) for a great exhaust that's both (much) lighter and tight in fitting for the balanced racks.  Metal mule sell the Scorpion as part of their rack kit for that very reason.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Bassman

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger XCx
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »
If you do end up getting a safari tank I would love to know if the hepco and becker tank bars still fit.I contacted safari tanks and unfortunately they couldn't tell me.Otherwise I would have purchased one myself a while ago

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »
You are right re: size of the stock can.  Agree with KildareMan re: running Arrow with stock tune. I switched back to the stock tune while running the Arrow can because my mileage was so bad on long trips.  Doesn't appear to have made a difference in how the bike runs, but the milage appears to be better.  And even 25 - 30 miles a tankful with the stock tank can mean riding rather that walking to the next gas on long pulls.   I also switched to 17/47 sprockets as 6,000 +  rpm at freeway speeds also eats gas.

I solved the tubed tire change problem by switching to tubeless with the R rims (and 15mm drop links to account for rake / trail change) ...  Plug and go ... 

Recent Topics

winded-staunch