Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie herdygerdy from Down Under & a question  (Read 1029 times)

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Member
Newbie herdygerdy from Down Under & a question
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
Hi there all,

I'm a 62 years young Kiwi living in Sydney Australia since 1979 and am currently researching the purchase of a current model Tiger 800 XR? - more on the '?' shortly. 

I only became aware of these gorgeous bits of kit and how likely they are to fit almost every one of my 'special needs' over the last two weeks. 

I have been a Honda guy for most of my life with a classic '78 Honda CBX 6 cylinder still in the garage (my 'show pony'). But I also had 6 happy years on an '07 Suzuki DL650 VStrom (my 'pit pony').  The 'Strom was recently sold and replaced with a very nicely farkled 2016 DR650 that I now have come to realise may have been an inappropriate purchase.  I have reached the point where I am seriously over throwing farkles and money at it to try and get it to fit me.  And all the while knowing it will not have anywhere near the road 'legs' of the Tiger.

The issue is I have pretty serious SLS (Short Leg Syndrome) and even after lowering the DR650 using the factory method and dropping the forks etc, etc. it still does not work for me.  I now find I really need the confidence inspired by a bike with a low seat height.  Imagine my delight on finding there is the XRX LRH (Low Ride Height) model that has 760 mm or 780 mm seat height (compared to 810 - 830 mm of the standard height models)!  Oh joy of joys!

I have now decided it is time to go down to one motorcycle in the shed and will be moving on both the gorgeous CBX (Sob!) and the DR650 in the next few months to fund purchase of a spanking new Tiger 800 XR?. 

This will only be my second ever new bike purchase in my life  (the first was a lovely black/silver Honda CX650 Euro way back when) and I am hoping will be the last motorcycle I ever buy.  Unbelievably, I have even got approval in advance from the "Kitchen Cabinet" to proceed with the purchase - once the two existing garage residents have been moved on.

Last week I test rode a white 2017 XRT std height machine and, apart from the height, I just knew it was love within 100 yards. That said, over the last few years I have test ridden a bunch of BMWs including a F650GS, F800ST, R1200R and have lusted after a BMW R1200RS after seeing a buddy with one.  But while some of the BMW bikes were great, not one of them really 'lit my wick' so to speak (like the CBX still does) and I just could not get real excited about them.  (I'm also gun-shy of experiencing the 'Break My Wallet' syndrome suffered all too often by many BMW owners when it comes to servicing and parts.)

When riding the XRT,  for the first time I felt I had at last found a bike with a lovely combination of all the things I really love about the CBX, the Wee Strom and the Beemers all rolled into one - and with the possibility of a low seat - Nirvanah! 

The smoothness, engine sound and more than sufficient power delivery was almost CBX-like, but with the adequate off road ability, fuel range, upgright riding position and tubeless tyres of the Wee Strom, and of course the creature comforts of the BMWs (quality seat, even better ergos and cruise control, heated grips etc.)

BTW, I have a heated jacket (game changer that one!) and heated gloves and Australia doesn't really get cold enough (where I live at least) to really benefit from heated seats, but nice to have for sure.

And so on to my dilemma - how to fill in the ? in the XR_ question. 

Do I..

a) buy an XRT standard height and then immediately lower it 50mm with a Soupy's lowering kit (did similar with the Wee Strom) and drop the forks down as well?  The benefit is that the XRT comes 'with all the fruit', up-rated alternator and the full load carrying capacity (although 95% of my riding will be solo) and can be easily put back to stock when it comes time to sell once they "put the lid on my box", thereby appealing to a wider market at that time;

OR

b) get an XRX Low Ride Height (LRH) and be happy with that.  I sat on a brand new  XRX LRH for the first time y'day and was able to compare it with a std height XRX demo' they had on the floor.  I really, REALLY liked the low XRX and found it very confidence inspiring.  I am keen to do some off roading (read 'off-tarmac') but the more likely reality is that it will typically be on formed gravel roads and tracks, rather than the gnarly single track rock climbing and mud wrestling I have in my (feeble) mind.

Sadly, many of the left over 2016 and 2017 Triumph models are on run out pricing at the moment, but I fear they will be all gone by the time I am ready to buy.  That said, what I have seen of the upcoming 2018 models and the claimed 200 changes seems to be pretty impressive and may be worth holding out for and stumping up the extra $$$ - your thoughts folks?  I would be entirely happy with a 2017 model XR? and am not at all hung up on having the latest, shiniest and newest model on the block.

Thanks for the great forum and clearly there is much to read and learn here for sure.

I look fwd to hearing the thoughts and experiences of others similarly afflicted with SLS and how they arrived at, and continue to live with, the Tiger of their choice.

Keep the rubber side down and many thanks in advance for any replies!

Cheers...Tony

Offline tommyt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Newbie herdygerdy from Down Under & a question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:58:20 PM »
Tony

Sorry but I have no idea about which modern version to recommend because I have an old one (2011 roadie), which I am unlikely to change because I don't really need anything else. I think the word is "sorted".

I am a short arse (30" inside leg) but I manage ok with the standard seat height. My advice is get the one you feel most comfortable with when riding and forget about all the gizmos. Also, think about buying a decent used T800 and keeping the CBX as well. You may regret letting it go so don't do it!

Whatever you do, welcome to the madhaus and what a great first post, particularly from a Kiwi living in Sydney, who is also still alive at 62! You're not Barry Humphries in disguise are you?

TT   

Offline Fraggle Rock

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:10:35 PM »
Hi Herdygerdy

Interesting post and yes, I also suffer from the dreaded short leg syndrome!! I have just purchased a new XRX LHR and can't be happier with this amazing machine (Both feet on the ground). I found that I was getting a little to ancient (77 yrs) and was losing my strength and found it hard to handle my Cruiser (Kwaka Vulcan Custom). What a surprise to ride a bike that is approximately 100 kgs lighter and feels like an armchair in comparison, not to mention all of the refinements that the Kwaka did not have. Well done Tony, I know that you will have many years of enjoyable riding.
Cheers
Fraggle

Offline Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:21:01 AM »
Hi Tony,
Your message above sounds like it was written by me !
I went out with a biker mate recently as he wanted to test ride the Triumph xca and a yamaha mt09 so i rode one he the other and then changed over a couple of times during the test ride.
We both decided the Yamaha was awful and the Triumph was amazing so much so he has bought a 2017 XRT and me a 2016 XCA he sold his classic car I sold my classic bikes.
We both live on the central coast near Gosford so if you are ever out for a ride up our way call in for a cuppa and a chat.
Cheers Jim

Offline Shacks

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »
Welcome
I have xrt 17and reading the posts I would go Xrx low and you have all you need - it depends on how many electric toys you have - not sure if you could fit uprated alternater  to Xrx and if this saves much Xrx could advise ref how standard one fairs - no need to faff around with lowering as the 17will sell if u want to - really a matter of what suits you and your finances?

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRx
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »
Hi Tony &  :401: I think the XRx LRH is the one to go for.  :417: :152: :031:
From '61 to present - BSA C12, Royal Enfield Crusader Sports, Tiger 110, T120R Bonnie, BMW R50, Suzuki GT185, T120 Bonnie, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, Sprint1050 & Street Triple, Sprint1050, Speedtriple, Sprint1050, Sprint GT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & Bonneville, XRx

Online Kerryman

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger xrx
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
Hello and welcome 👍

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Bear in mind that the maximum load weight of the XRx Low (rider, passenger, luggage etc) is 140kg. So if you're intending to carry a passenger and either of you is, er, big-boned, you could well exceed that. The XCx Low is 221kg, but it's probably too high.

The alternative, buying an XRwhatever and lowering it a bit, could be done in a couple of ways - different dogbone links or different springs.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 07:53:47 PM »
Thank you one and all for your cheery welcome and insightful comments.

TommyT, no I'm not Barry Humphries for sure - at least last time I looked.  Very few used Mk II Tiger 800's on the market here in Oz, and that's gotta be a good thing, right?  Re moving the CBX on, I think it's time to do more ridin' than fettlin' now, but I will be very sad to see Cybil my Candy Glory Red CBX finally find a new home.  Me thinks it's time for someone else to enjoy and learn about these amazing machines.

Fraggle, congrats on still 'getting your leg over' at 77 years young.  Mucho' respect Sir!  And many thanks for your feedback on the XRX LRH, I do think that will be the way I go.

Suspension Travel Specs - the hard data
                          Front       Rear
Std Height XR     180 mm   170 mm
Low Ride Height  140 mm   150 mm
Difference           40 mm    20 mm.

And that makes a world of difference to us SLS afflicted folk for sure.

Bikerjimbob, thanks for your friendly welcome, would love to meet up and talk all things classic bikes and Triumph some time.  Please PM me your contact details and we can sort something out. 

For all others who recommend the LRH, thank you. 

Tauzero, I don't think the lower load capacity will be too much of an issue for me, even though I am somewhat, er 'big boned' esp. for one with SLS.  Another 2018 project is to, um, 'reduce bone size' as much as possible   :156:.  Still slowly coming out of the Christmas / New Year 'food coma' though.

I'm really excited to learn that these glorious 3 cylinder Triumph engines are about to become even more world famous (is that a 'thing'?) with MotoGP's Dorna contracting Triumph to supply tuned versions of the 765 cc engines in Moto2 from 2019.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/moto2-engine

Clips below include VERY tasty sound bites and a little bit of info'.   Can't wait to hear what 35 of these bikes firing off the start grid at full noise will sound like!   Hooley Dooley!!  As our first female Prime Minister Julia Gillard so famously said once during her short stint in the big chair..."BRING. IT. ON."

/>
/>
/>
Thanks again for the great welcome and enjoy the vids folks

Cheers...Tony

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
After much consideration, finally pulled the trigger on a new MY17 XRT and literally could not be happier with it.

This is the second ever new motorcycle I have ever bought in my life (the first was a Honda CX650E back in mid '80s) and I am hoping it will see me out.

It feels much lighter, smaller and more stable, especially at low speed, than my slightly lowered '07 Suzuki DL650 VStrom ever was.

I really am ecstatic about this motorcycle, esp. as it was on a factory run out special pricing at the time and came with Expedition panniers  and all on road cost included.

Here's me last Monday 20MAR when I picked up 'Truman' from Brisan's in Newcastle.

Setting off...

After stopping for lunch on the way home, I came back out to find this van parked next to me.  Feels like a good omen to me!

Looking fwd to getting to know Truman much better over the next few weeks.

Recent Topics