Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12000 mile service  (Read 3373 times)

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
Re: 12000 mile service
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Tha government inspection manual says the same.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/index.htm

Reason for Rejection

l.    an excessively scored, excessively pitted or excessively
worn brake disc
I know? reasons as stated in my last post? we are both in agreement, the words excessively are used, but the wording for min wear limits have been removed

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by digger06 [+]
I know? reasons as stated in my last post? we are both in agreement, the words excessively are used, but the wording for min wear limits have been removed

Down to the tester then. He reads the min thickness on the disc & decides below that is excessive. What you going to say.

What if a Government examiner was to check.
I know two very thorough MOT testers who lost their licence, neither have got them back.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 04:11:45 PM »
all mot testers are government examiners technically, but if they lost their licence, they wernt very thorough, were they?if they got banned for life they did something very very wrong, vosa doesn't ban for life without just cause

testers do not have to look at min wear thickness stamps, its not in the manual, it was removed and we (mot testers/vosa council)all got a notice/email explaining why....
first rule I learned as an mot tester..do whats in the book only, rightly or wrongly....
mot is a roadworthy test,not a test to triumph specs (or even a legality check, a bike can pass mot but be illegal on the road) if a disk is under the min, but isn't dangerous , and passes performance testing its fine,
its testers discretion, but if you disagree, appeal,,,, you may find his mind changes , (some are just after extra cash).
its how it is, check with vosa,
interestingly, the link underneath comes from vosa, would YOU  pass those disks?vosa did (condition, not performance wise)
same rules as a bike,
yours and my standards are not the same as vosas....
/>

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:15:12 PM by digger06 »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »
Hey digger, what do you test bikes or cars?

It may not be in the manual to look at the min wear thickness marks, it may not be compulsory in some countries to stamp those marks on discs. It is in the manual to check for excessive wear on discs. So what reference does the tester use to decide if the wear is excessive?

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
I just can't believe the test is so lax after having advisories on the discs on our shopping trolley car on 3 separate occasions and for nothing more than surface rust 'cos it doesn't get used much, I now take it for a run to scrub them clean before the MOT, passed this year with no advisories at 11 years old still with original discs & pads.

Wandered off topic some here haven't we. We were all talking about disc wear on a Tiger 800, how did we digress onto MOT's?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:25:41 PM by Paulhere »

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger XRt
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 11:05:20 PM »
Down to the tester then. He reads the min thickness on the disc & decides below that is excessive. What you going to say.

Tha government inspection manual says the same.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/index.htm

Reason for Rejection

l.    an excessively scored, excessively pitted or excessively
worn brake disc

..... spot on ..... just one major problem .... define 'excessively'.  :084:

One testers 'excessive' failure is another testers acceptable 'advisary notice'. It very much comes down to the testers experience. Most years my daughter get an advisary for rusty discs though it easily pulls good balanced brake test figure, but the testers usually comments that he can see the car barely does 2k miles a year. Her discs are always rusty looking. Last 2yrs MOTs also advised 'corrosion on suspension -  not compromising  structure (or similar)' .... how does the testers guide define the line between safe/unsafe corrosion ... I suggest again it is down to the testers experience (rightly or wrongly you may argue) to decide. 'Most' testers have usually gained a fair few years of daily mechanical experience before gaining their testers ticket.

I take the wear limits of manufacturers with a pinch of salt, they'd claim renew as soon as bedded in if they thought they could sell more parts through it.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
Wandered off topic some here haven't we. We were all talking about disc wear on a Tiger 800, how did we digress onto MOT's?

Paul
Seems like the topics I post certainly cause people to think about a  subject LOL

On another note, collected the bike today, took it to the local chap and he measured the discs...4.15 on both sides at the front. Still got half the pad left. I said I was being told by a dealer that the bike needed discs after 11,500 miles he said "bo**ocks does it" LOL His advice was for me to not worry about it, go ride and keep the money in my pocket where it belongs.

Thank you very much for all the comments about the subject on here, it certainly helped put my mind at ease.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by biscut1975 [+]
...I said I was being told by a dealer that the bike needed discs after 11,500 miles he said "bo**ocks does it" LOL His advice was for me to not worry about it, go ride and keep the money in my pocket where it belongs.
It appears your dealer is none too honest, I'd steer well clear.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:44:27 PM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline biscut1975

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
It appears your dealer is none too honest, I'd steer well clear.

its times like this i wish i was part of that TV series "Rogue Traders" ;-) (edit: originally posted that as Rouge traders which I bet is a whole other type of program)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:44:05 PM by biscut1975 »

Recent Topics