Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should I get my tiger serviced at the main dealer.....?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
Re: Should I get my tiger serviced at the main dealer.....?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
Its not just finding a good dealer.Its finding a good dealer in your area .few and far between. Only takes a new mechanic or salesman and you lost a good service...

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
 :0461: And, what you've never had you don't miss.  :110:
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online julianhj

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
I decided early on after buying from my local main dealer that I wouldn't use them for servicing. This was primarily because of the poor service I received immediately after purchase when it was clear the bike was leaking oil. I had to go back a number of times before it was sorted. The solution was that a bolt on the engine casing wasn't torqued up correctly. I had to work out the source of the leak for myself, as despite having the bike for nearly two weeks it was handed back in the same state. When I did point out exactly where I thought it was coming from a mechanic came and torqued it up immediately, saying this was a common issue. Clearly one or more of his colleagues wasn't aware of this when they were trying to solve the issue. It didn't fill me with any confidence.

After hearing so many good things about Muddysump I decided that he was the best option. I'm a bit gutted that he's taking a break, and I'll probably end up using my nearest independent garage for servicing in the mean time, as a colleague recommended them. They've done tyres and MOTs for me over the last couple of years without issue.

If anyone has any recommendations in the Sussex area I'd be keen to hear from you.

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Pro
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 07:03:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by julianhj [+]

If anyone has any recommendations in the Sussex area I'd be keen to hear from you.

I used to go to Andy Sutton in Hastings.
Not specific Triumph but a well respected mechanic.

https://www.hastingsmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/about-us/

Find the Line

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 04:06:51 PM »
For what its worth, here's my experience of a Main Dealer...Youles Triumph of Manchester, also at Blackburn: I purchased my 2012 13k 800 roadie last summer from Youles Manchester. They promised it would be fully serviced with new oil and filter, drive chain checked, cleaned and lubricated, fully valeted with 12 months MOT. The only thing I got was the 12 months MOT done by them. I collected it and in my excitement and eagerness to get on the bike I didn't really give it a good once over. When I got home (15 mile ride) I checked the "new" oil through the sight glass, it was the colour of black coffee, the filter was obviously not new and the drive chain was a good 25mm too slack, it was claggy dirty, hadn't been cleaned, just sprayed with white grease on the outside for effect. The valet was a half-arsed job and I do have doubts about their in-house MOT.

Will I buy again or let Youles service my bike in the future? What do you think? NO :172: WAY  :112:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:44:50 PM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan Me

Online julianhj

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by philmcglass [+]
I used to go to Andy Sutton in Hastings.
Not specific Triumph but a well respected mechanic.

https://www.hastingsmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/about-us/

Cheers, a bit of a ride for me, but then it could be a good day out as my service anniversary is around July/August...

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
For what its worth, here's my experience of a Main Dealer...Youles Triumph of Manchester, also at Blackburn: I purchased my 2012 13k 800 roadie last summer from Youles Manchester. They promised it would be fully serviced with new oil and filter, drive chain checked, cleaned and lubricated, fully valeted with 12 months MOT. The only thing I got was the 12 months MOT done by them. I collected it and in my excitement and eagerness to get on the bike I didn't really give it a good once over. When I got home (15 mile ride) I checked the "new" oil through the sight glass, it was the colour of black coffee, the filter was obviously not new and the drive chain was a good 25mm too slack, it was claggy dirty, hadn't been cleaned, just sprayed with white grease for effect. The valet was a half-arsed job and I do have doubts about their in-house MOT.

Will I let Youles service my bike in the future? What do you think? NO :172: WAY  :112:

:0461: Went with a pal after a s/h sprint, salesman said "all the bikes with a blue sticker on the headlamp have been fully serviced & ready to go." What a load of old dogs imo, filthy brakes & chains, so what's the rest like. I believe their new bikes are financed, not get a good deal there.

Offline troubleshooter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »

I've just been quoted a 36K service by a main dealer as 615 for the service, plus 108 for shim adjustment plus 6 a shim, and plus coolant, brake fluid etc. Apparently it's a day and half labour.

Yikes!!!

I think a manual and I'll do it myself thanks! (the did say they have plenty of capacity at the moment - wonder why that is?)

Online Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »
A friend of mine had a 12k service recently done at Fooles Manchester, + 2 tyres, chain and sprockets, said they were knackered even though well maintained and no stretch, new brake pads, I have ridden with him and he isn't a heavy braker.  1050  :087:
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
Kinell, ^^^ taking the wee wee a bit innit.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch