Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil change Tiger 800XCX WP forks  (Read 922 times)

Offline Garry Ellam

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCX
Oil change Tiger 800XCX WP forks
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »
Has anyone changed the fork oil in their XCX WP forks?  I just wondered if they are stripped in the 'usual' way? do you just remove the rebound and compression adjusters before undoing the fork tops?  Any special tools required? I can't find any guides or info on the web.

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
Re: Oil change Tiger 800XCX WP forks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
I ask myself the same questions for the maintenance of the fork Wp.   :187:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
I don't think removing the adjustment knob is required.  Just unscrew the fork cap.
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline MedicineBow

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCx
Fork oil top-up, Tiger 800XCX WP forks
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:44:27 AM »
Reviving this thread for a related question, having never disassembled a fork before.  My XCX sprung a leak on one side after some gritty trail riding, and left a pretty good coat of fork oil along the right side of the bike by the time I noticed, after 100+ miles of slabbing home. Cleaned it up with a seal saver and it quit leaking - either that, or it ran dry. There might be a little more dive in the front end, but it's not a dramatic difference, so my guess is it didn't lose a lot.

I was thinking I could refill it close enough by matching to the other side, without taking anything apart.  Just put in on the center stand, weight the rear to lift the front tire, unscrew the caps, use a thin wire to probe the depth on the good one and fill to match on the leaky side. Will that work? With the caps off, is there room to probe the depth in there without pulling anything more apart? And what don't I know that will bite me when I try this?

- MB

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 08:51:05 AM »
Taking the fork caps off - I would suggest getting hold of a "flat" edged socket to fit the cap, there is not much hex to get a hold of and the chamfer on a usual socket can easily slip..
DAMHIK......

Offline MedicineBow

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCx
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:32:13 PM »
I dont have a socket to fit the cap, but it loosened easily with an adjustable wrench.  I put a little weight on the front to pop the caps up, and tried to probe for oil depth with the thinnest safety wire I have, but can't reach far enough to touch oil. The wire is blocked down about where I think the bottom of the spring is.

For now I think I'm going to just make a conservative estimate of what I lost and dump it in, and wait till the end of riding season to do a proper fork oil change.

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »
If you can't find the top of the oil at the bottom of the spring then you lost a lot.

Chico

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
The level of fork oil is controlled with spring removed and folded (compressed) fork !!!

Recent Topics