Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain cleaning off the bike  (Read 1249 times)

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2013
Chain cleaning off the bike
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:17 PM »
Got the back end stripped to grease suspension bearings.

If I take the chain off for cleaning is it essential it goes back the same orientation?
Will it be dangerous if I refit "back to front".
Find the Line

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Chain cleaning off the bike
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:20 AM »
I wouldn't think so..? The rollers are designed to rotate on the pins.
But, whenever I've tried similar in the past the results have not been rewarding: I've remounted tires in reverse (many years ago) with bad handling/wobble for my trouble. I've turned sprockets around to equalize wear (I thought...) only to get noisy transmission sound.
I certainly don't think it would be "dangerous", though.
(I admit I haven't done same -- on purpose, that is...)
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Offline Harsh

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2014 800
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
I think the only thing you have to worry about is if the chain uses a clip type masterlink.  The clip has to run in a certain direction.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:36:20 PM by Harsh »
Other People's Kids
1974 Honda CB750 Caf Racer (mine) https://imgur.com/9SQr5mq
1972 Honda CB350 Restoration (the wife's) https://imgur.com/t8KbVRZ
1972 Honda CB350 Caf Racer (the daughter's) h

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
Am presuming you have the swing arm off as well.  Clean the chain with some white spirit and an old tooth brush.  Scratch an arrow in one of the side plates to indicate travel rotation.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: T800 FZ1N CBR929
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »
It should be easy to see which way round it go’s buy the joining link, the spreaded holes should be facing you as that is how the link is put on. Also I would not put the chain on the opposite way ( should never be done really ) as the chain and sprockets wear together going one way. You will get noise from it, it won’t run smooth most of the time So just clean them  with wd40 put them back the same way and when it’s time to replace them just replace them. Ps the chain does not use a clip type master link. That’s on low cc bikes ie 50cc 125cc
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:20:18 PM by ENGLISHBANDIT »
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:36:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
It should be easy to see which way round it gos buy the joining link, the spreaded holes should be facing you as that is how the link is put on. Also I would not put the chain on the opposite way ( should never be done really ) as the chain and sprockets wear together going one way. You will get noise from it, it wont run smooth most of the time So just clean them  with wd40 put them back the same way and when its time to replace them just replace them. Ps the chain does not use a clip type master link. Thats on low cc bikes ie 50cc 125cc

No joining link on mine  :002:

I've never had any issues just putting it back on without bothering which way around it came off
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline smurfbud

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger Road Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
Answer to your question - NO its not essential. The chain is not handed and is joined with a pressed link so it wont make any difference mechanically...... however .... it all depends how many miles you have done as to whether you will potentially experience any additional "noise" or "chatter" or increase the wear on teh chain and sprockets depending upon the possible wear and tear from previous mileage, ie its an old chain and sprockets have already seen significant mileage.

Why are you asking? is it because you wont know which way round it needs to go back on to be in the same orientation that it came off (in which case see Englishbandit response - the splayed joining link pins will face you looking from the left of the bike) or is it because you just want to change the orientation of the chain to equalise the wear and tear on it?
Still a pupil at the school of life

Offline Harsh

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2014 800
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
Ps the chain does not use a clip type master link. Thats on low cc bikes ie 50cc 125cc

While the stock chain may not use a clip type link he never mentioned if his chain had been changed so I just wanted to make sure it was something he was made aware of.  Additionally, clip type links are not limited to low cc bikes.  I have purchased a number of chains for my race bike (that is well above 125cc) that came with clip type links.  I choose not to use them and opt for the rivet type link.  I do agree with you that there might be some additional noise, but I really don't think it would be detrimental.
Other People's Kids
1974 Honda CB750 Caf Racer (mine) https://imgur.com/9SQr5mq
1972 Honda CB350 Restoration (the wife's) https://imgur.com/t8KbVRZ
1972 Honda CB350 Caf Racer (the daughter's) h

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2013
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
I was initially concerned that I would get it reversed accidentally.
I was going to attach a cable tie to keep a tab on orientation.

Didnt manage to get it off the bike so will clean now that its reassembled.
Probably easier spinning on the bike anyway.
Find the Line

Offline smurfbud

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger Road Blue
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »
After all that !!!  :492: :492:
Still a pupil at the school of life

Recent Topics