Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph customer care clean version.  (Read 683 times)

Dave. D and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Odin

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800xca
Triumph customer care clean version.
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »
Do triumph give a monkeys after they have your money???

My chain was knackerd after 6000 miles and they say its my fault even with a scotoiler fitted, then while its in for its service the remap my ecu and they tell me they dont need my permision to do that, Its now only just at best doing 60 mpg it used to do 68 at 65 mph. On my run to cornwall at the weekend it only managed 55mpg on the way down and i managed 60 on the way back. They say the remap hasnt affected it.

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that no permission was required to update the software calibration on your Tiger 800.

This action is part of the schedule service. One element of the service is to check for the latest software. If the current software, or calibration as it is known, in the bikes ECU is out of date, then service calls for it to be updated. So by having your service carried out by the dealer, you have authorised them to update the software.

With regards to the actual software update itself.

I have discussed this with our emissions department, and while I cannot give you the full details of the update, I can guarantee that the update will not have affected the fuel consumption or the performance of your Tiger 800 in any way.

So in closing; I'm sorry you have felt it necessary to contact us on this matter, but I can categorically confirm that by updating the software in your ECU, the dealer has not done anything wrong. 

So if i dont wan my ecu mucked about with they are telling me to get it serviced elsewhere.

The dealer themselves seem a ok bunch but triumph seem to give zero care about keeping a customer.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: T800 FZ1N CBR929
Re: Triumph customer care clean version.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
Triumph just want your money. They are not a real bikers , white collar bikers comes to mind. Let’s face it  they reckon 80% of tigers never tour just go on local rides ?. Even when I sold mine I said are you touring on it as it’s fully kitted out. Answer no just local. You have a lot of new riders that just want the image. Mid life or have watched the long way down. Nothing wrong with that. But they are the riders Triumph love. 40 + lots of money ( or finance) talk to them like they are there friends when all they want is your money. Anyone that knows what they are on about they don’t like . Don’t think I have Hurd anyone say anything nice about them. Apart from one lad I know that has no idea about bikes and over paid twice at my local Triumph. But 50k a year and no idea they love him
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:52:52 PM by ENGLISHBANDIT »
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline smurfbud

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger Road Blue
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
WRT your fuel consumption, if you are not able to check yourself (using TuneECU), I would question your Triumph dealer as to what map they have put onto your ECU as it may have been incorrect - mistakes do happen.

Personally I believe your mpg is extremely good, but it all depends on your right hand eh!! You can always revert back to the previous ECU map by using Tune ECU.
Still a pupil at the school of life

Offline Odin

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by smurfbud [+]
WRT your fuel consumption, if you are not able to check yourself (using TuneECU), I would question your Triumph dealer as to what map they have put onto your ECU as it may have been incorrect - mistakes do happen.

Personally I believe your mpg is extremely good, but it all depends on your right hand eh!! You can always revert back to the previous ECU map by using Tune ECU.

They dont want to tell me what the update is/was about or for.
I may have to look into this tune ecu thing do you know does it work on a 2017 tiger ?

Offline petesear

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
Hi Odin... can I ask where you had this service?

I'm about to get the 6k miles done and I see I'm not that far from you,  I would like to avoid this dealer because of your experience.

I too ride a 17 plate.

If you are not happy to broadcast the dealer here would you please pm me.......?

Many thanks... Pete

Offline Odin

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
Hi Odin... can I ask where you had this service?

I'm about to get the 6k miles done and I see I'm not that far from you,  I would like to avoid this dealer because of your experience.

I too ride a 17 plate.

If you are not happy to broadcast the dealer here would you please pm me.......?

Many thanks... Pete

Pm`d

I`m still thinking on whether to name them, I dont have an issue with some of what they have said but what i do and have taken issue with is have just been told by triumph to jog on after questioning there opinion of my chain wear given the scotoiler fitted. the dealer themselves "seem" to be on my side but they cant do anything unless Triumph says they can.

Online Psychopasta

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:00:48 AM »
I think remapping the ECU to the latest factory build is 100% reasonable thing to do. If the dealer is doing what Triumph recommends, that should be fine. - P

Offline Pailton

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:09:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Odin [+]
Do triumph give a monkeys after they have your money???

My chain was knackerd after 6000 miles and they say its my fault even with a scotoiler fitted, then while its in for its service the remap my ecu and they tell me they dont need my permision to do that, Its now only just at best doing 60 mpg it used to do 68 at 65 mph. On my run to cornwall at the weekend it only managed 55mpg on the way down and i managed 60 on the way back. They say the remap hasnt affected it.

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that no permission was required to update the software calibration on your Tiger 800.

This action is part of the schedule service. One element of the service is to check for the latest software. If the current software, or calibration as it is known, in the bikes ECU is out of date, then service calls for it to be updated. So by having your service carried out by the dealer, you have authorised them to update the software.

With regards to the actual software update itself.

I have discussed this with our emissions department, and while I cannot give you the full details of the update, I can guarantee that the update will not have affected the fuel consumption or the performance of your Tiger 800 in any way.

So in closing; I'm sorry you have felt it necessary to contact us on this matter, but I can categorically confirm that by updating the software in your ECU, the dealer has not done anything wrong. 

So if i dont wan my ecu mucked about with they are telling me to get it serviced elsewhere.

The dealer themselves seem a ok bunch but triumph seem to give zero care about keeping a customer.

Down-loading the latest software has been part of the service for many years now well over 10 years I would guess on cars anyway, I assume bikes are the same.

The software can reprogram every system that is installed, the more electronics it has installed that are controlled by an ECU the more systems can be effected by the reprogram.

As for your fuel consumption figures do you carry the bike on the back of a trailer? :033:  that's the only way I would get anywhere close to those. I'm anywhere between 33-45 mpg.   

Online Dave. D

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »
Slightly off the subject, but my car was subject to a factory recall change in ECU settings, and after it, was running rough before i even  left the garage forecourt, I took it back twice to the garage, and was told it was not the reset causing the problem, but when looking on the net it was obvious that lots of people were having the same problem.
 To cut a long story short i had to get the AA and the manufacturers customer service people and another three trips to the garage to even get it running anything like back to normal, and at no time would anyone explain fully what the reset was for or put it back to original settings,
 I think if there is going to be a ECU reset the garage should at least inform you exactly what it's for prior to doing it. ( was there not some posts regarding an earlier reset where there were problems if owners had fitted different exhaust to their bikes ? )

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »
Dealers will if you ask them not load a new tune.  I had to do this as I have the O2 sensor disabled and the fan on temperature changed.  But then I had the new tune uploaded and ready to go when I got the bike back from service.
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch