Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Iceland on Tiger XR?  (Read 779 times)

Offline lucfcb

• Tiger Member
  • Luc fan of FCB ;-)
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
Iceland on Tiger XR?
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:11:30 PM »
would like to join my son on an Iceland trip. Son rides his Honda AT extremely well, and will do lots of offroad. I'm considering to follow him on the lighter stuff (allroad gravel and so) on my Tiger XRT with standard (road) tires. None of the heavier off-road, but still some trails ...

I think the Tiger should be able to handle that at a reasonable pace. (I'm used to hit (literally ) the road from time to time, no need to worry about my well-being  :034:)
Other opinions/suggestions?
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window ...

Offline DonVulpes

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XRT
Re: Iceland on Tiger XR?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 06:50:09 AM »
Loved Iceland, but only did it by car. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time over there.

The only suggestion I would make is to change the road biased tyres for something better able to cope with the gravel roads. I would imagine a purely road biased tyre will get shredded quite quickly on the gravel/pumice roads ?
Doesn't matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always the better option.

Offline 1284rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by DonVulpes [+]
Loved Iceland, but only did it by car. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time over there.

The only suggestion I would make is to change the road biased tyres for something better able to cope with the gravel roads. I would imagine a purely road biased tyre will get shredded quite quickly on the gravel/pumice roads ?

+1.  The unsurfaced roads are made of volcanic lava / pumice and the rocks are very hard and sharp and consequently your tyres may suffer.  Many of the locals drive 'superjeeps' which are big 4wd trucks that they fit oversized balloon type tyres to.  They travel at speed on the gravel roads and they spit out huge lava rocks as they go which can be quite scary if they are passing you going at speed the opposite way.  Just pull off the road if you see one approaching.

But Iceland is a great country to visit and you will have a great time.  I just wish it was easier to get to from the UK so I could go back.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
Be aware that if it gets windy, there's a chance of that lovely ash and gravel giving your bike a bit of a sandblasting  :114: or as you can call it later a "patina"  :001:
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRx Low 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:34 PM »
Best 0f luck!!

Think hard about tyre choice.
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT & a Tiger 800 XrX low.

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
Iceland do a delivery service  :002:
All the best with your trip though, ride safe.
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline lucfcb

• Tiger Member
  • Luc fan of FCB ;-)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Thanks a lot, I'll change my tyres  :028:

and now
DUNLOP TrailMax, METZELER Karoo 3, CONTINENTAL ContiEscape, MICHELIN Sirac or PIRELLI MT60 tyres?

that's a discussion for next year  :007:

Offline PD72

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
Don,t forget Avon 😁

Offline lucfcb

• Tiger Member
  • Luc fan of FCB ;-)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
Well, Avon ... not a brand name familiar overseas as you call our region  :015:
but after a little search, they seem to be available not too far from where I live ... I'll add them to the short list  :028:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch