Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thinking of returning.  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
Re: Thinking of returning.
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »
I find it odd that Triumph used tubeless rims on my spoked Tex but not on the Xca.

Oh well......just ride it!
2018 Xca. BMW K1600GTL. Suzuki GT380

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline DonVulpes

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grumps [+]
I find it odd that Triumph used tubeless rims on my spoked Tex but not on the Xca.

Oh well......just ride it!

Yeah  :028:

I'm surprised for what the bikes are really intended for they don't offer tubeless OEM. Thruxton is the same  :125:
Doesn't matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always the better option.

Offline Radzz

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800XC
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
Regarding the front wheel and the bead or rim hook that I have heard mention. What is it? Apparently the rear rim has one which means you can do a conversion on that one but not the front..! The front doesnt really bother me too much as a flat is easy to fix there. The rear can be a bitch though. Still Im just curious as to how it is possible on the rear but not the front? :001:

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »
Not a motorcycle rim but it'll give you the idea

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Radzz

• Tiger Master
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
Thanks Rtwo  :002: , I can see the difference now but why does this make a tubeless conversion not such a good idea on the front. I mean tube or no tube the front tyre doesnt seem anymore secure? Or does it?

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Radzz [+]
I can see the difference now but why does this make a tubeless conversion not such a good idea on the front. I mean tube or no tube the front tyre doesnt seem anymore secure? Or does it?
Re the tube-type spoked rim (as T800 XC): the lack of a bead-area rim design to secure/seal the the tire bead to the rim - not needed w/inner-tube air chamber - renders the rim less capable of a satisfactory seal and, thus, offers the possibility of air loss.
And, no, the old-style (non-tubeless bead-area design) doesn't secure the tire any better -- whether with a tube or without.
But, with an inner tube, the air within is more secure.
Contrarily, the XC's rear spoked wheel has a rim with a tire-bead seating area designed for tubeless tires -- but, that's the only part of the rear wheel that's tubeless-ready.
Thus creating added difficulty when tire-changing as tubeless are often more difficult to dismount and fit. An issue accepted with tubeless / tubeless -- but, a bit more problematic when an inner-tube needs to be fitted concurrently.
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Offline Radzz

• Tiger Master
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »
Thanks AvgBear!... Great explanation. I get it now. So its probably best I keep a tube in the front I reckon.  I run the pressures lowish as I ride a fair few of gravel roads and tracks and the front tyre doesnt seal against the rim that well already ive noticed.
Cheers Nick

Recent Topics