Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve Clearance Check and Shims Size  (Read 9728 times)

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
Valve Clearance Check and Shims Size
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:51:34 AM »
 How soon the valve clearance needs to be checked? According to the manual, 24k km, but I when I checked my valves in Vulcan S only after 12k km, 1 exhaust valve was already too tight.  I believe that the shims for Tiger are 7.48mm?

I ordered this kit, just in case that I cannot find the correct shims: 

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Cams-HCSHIM01-Shim-Kit/dp/B000UKM6LG/

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
Re: Valve Clearance Check and Shims Size
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »
That's the same kit I've got. Works fine. I used 5 at my last valve clearance check.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cats [+]
That's the same kit I've got. Works fine. I used 5 at my last valve clearance check.

Cats.  Thanks a lot!  Was it your first valve check? 

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:37:21 AM »
Yes it was.
I'm a bit (read very) doubtful about Triumph dealers claims that when they come to check they miraculously find all the valve clearances in spec. :110:

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
Yes it was.
I'm a bit (read very) doubtful about Triumph dealers claims that when they come to check they miraculously find all the valve clearances in spec. :110:

I am planning to do it myself.  I hope I am up to the job.  I got the go-no-go feeler gauges.  speaking of which, those guys at the dealership use the same gauges over and over again, and it is possible that they become thinner as they wear off, and it is having the smaller clearance is that is bigger of an issue.

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »
You'll be fine. I've always worked on shim under cam not shim under bucket bikes before, but it was ok, just a PITA.
I suppose a set of feeler gauges could become thinner over time if an engineer does nothing but measure valve clearances all day long for months on end.

Slightly off topic, I rebuilt a cylinder head off an XS1100 the other week and when i'd run the bike for 20 miles I re-checked the valve clearances and they nearly all needed re-shimming, which made me wonder how manufacturers got around it. Do they just spin them up free from the engine in the factory for an hour or so before re-checking the clearances?

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
Slightly off topic, I rebuilt a cylinder head off an XS1100 the other week and when i'd run the bike for 20 miles I re-checked the valve clearances and they nearly all needed re-shimming, which made me wonder how manufacturers got around it. Do they just spin them up free from the engine in the factory for an hour or so before re-checking the clearances?

When I did the Triumph factory visit in November last they just drop the cams in, measure, remove, adjust shims, drop the cams back in, bolt them down and that's it.
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline Cats

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »
Interesting. That's probably the same for all manufacturers. Newer materials probably have higher tolerances.
Some manuals state to re-check valve clearances after the first check just in case of discrepancies in readings, but I've found that doing it by that method always throws up different readings so I just do the one check whenever a cylinder head is in situ.
Don't know what I would do if I had to rebuild a Tiger cylinder head. :187:

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
  • Personal text? Hmmm... later something witty.
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 03:35:46 AM »
Yes it was.

I gotta ponder that one too.  For some reason most people who check it themselves, the exhaust valves are always tight.  Yet those that take it into a dealership they be tighter?  I wonder if maybe heat has something to do with it.  Us do it yourselfers, the engines are nice and cool while in a shop they are warmer.  That said, the temp to being able to work on it and room temperature I do not think is that much thermal expansion.... Now I wonder what the thermal expansion rate for steel is... hrm.... lets say it is the 0.000012 (m/moC) (yay engineers toolbox) so if the valve is 30 deg above room temp when measured, that is 0.00036m/m (which then can be 0.00036mm/mm) so if the valve is 50mm long, approx, then the valve would be 0.0018 mm longer.... XD  I think nope.

Of note, the dealer for me replaced a leaky valve cover under warranty last year.  Didn't put it on right, or bumped while installing the cover and the gasket leaked worse after I got it back.  Doing it myself, the gasket was partially curled inside the head.

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:33:29 PM »
A question for those who have done the valve clearance checks on different Tiger 800 engines a few times.

What is the typical range of sizes you have found within the engines as delivered from factory?  (ie; from thinnest you've needed to thickest)

The Hot Cams kit bought by the OP and others goes all the way from 1.2mm to 3.5mm, which is a very wide range.  So you are definitely paying for many shim sizes in the kit you will never be able to use.

Here in Aus there is a company called Precision Shims Australia (PSA).  I see on their site you can request a quote for a kit where you specify the shim diameter (7.48 in our case), both the starting and ending thickness range you need and the no. of shims each size you need in either 0.02mm or 0.05mm increments.

This way you can "trim" the range of shims in the kit to be more appropriate for use in our engines.

I have previously used PSA shims on twin cam Honda engines (25mm shim diameter) and find both the shims and their service top rate, with delivery typically within 1 or 2 days in AUS.

Putting it out there for the Aussie folk who do their own servicing.  And not sure if they ship internationally, but you can always ask.  Alternatively, PM me if interested and perhaps I can help with shipping.

Cheers...Tony  :017:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:36:04 PM by herdygerdy »

Recent Topics