Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve Clearance Check and Shims Size  (Read 8666 times)

Offline MikeG12

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
Re: Valve Clearance Check and Shims Size
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by gryan39 [+]
Ye checked out muddysump. Seems ok but will prob need to be done over day or 2. Time check vid etc.  Where did you order your kit and was there anything that you needed that wasent in the kit.  Tho its near xmas and these might just be to many questions. Lol. I can always work it out 🤔🤪

Yes, it will take a day or 2 unless you are Muddysump! I'm in the USA so I ordered from Bike Bandit, but you should have more sources in the UK. The kit contains all the stuff to do the check plus gaskets for the timing chain cover and some other plugs and O'rings that I haven't figured out yet. Muddysump says you need O'rings for the cam ladders if you do have to adjust the shims. Kit also includes the chain guard rubbing strip and an oil filter and air filter. You will need clearance guages, 1/2" is OK, but you will have to bend the exhaust ones a little.

Offline tewe

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by MikeG12 [+]
Yes, it will take a day or 2 unless you are Muddysump! I'm in the USA so I ordered from Bike Bandit, but you should have more sources in the UK. The kit contains all the stuff to do the check plus gaskets for the timing chain cover and some other plugs and O'rings that I haven't figured out yet. Muddysump says you need O'rings for the cam ladders if you do have to adjust the shims. Kit also includes the chain guard rubbing strip and an oil filter and air filter. You will need clearance guages, 1/2" is OK, but you will have to bend the exhaust ones a little.
My approach is that I spent the first day on checking the clearances and identifying potential need for the shims. I need to order anyhow the new gasket so I just give a call to my dealer requesting the gasket + the needed shims. Extra charge for the shims is next to nothing. When those arrive I will spend the following day in putting everything back where it belongs to.

tewe

Offline gryan39

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Triumph tiger800
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
Nice one.  Bikes in garage so this should be ok. I hope. Ill go onto world of Triumph see if can order up stuff 👍

Offline OHRider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 XRx
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
How do you determine what shim to use if out of spec? Is there a calculator?

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by OHRider [+]
How do you determine what shim to use if out of spec?
Is there a calculator?
Mr. Haynes say: "The required new shim size can be calculated..." (meaning: 'put-togethers' & 'take-aways').
The FSM offers: "Measure / remove / select / refit / measure / etc."
Remember, some of the adjustment shims selected for removal may be the right size to fit elsewhere.
It's a "try & see" process.
No calculator that I know of.
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
No calculator that I know of.

I have this site bookmarked for my Street Triple.
It's probably the same for the Tiger 800.

Offline MikeG12

• Tiger Member
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 07:36:15 PM »
There are lots of calculators out there, mostly for 4 cylinder bikes. The first step is to just check the min and max clearances like Muddysump says. If one or more fail, then measure the exact clearance. Then remove the cams and measure the shim(s). If you need more clearance, put a thinner shim, and vice-versa. If you do remove the cams, I recommend removing each shim and measuring/recording it. That way, when you do it again, you will know what shims to order or swap before even pulling out the cams. It is also recommended to measure each shim with a micrometer rather than relying on the stamped size, but I have never seen a difference. Remember also that there are a lot of other bikes that take the same shim size, so you might be able to get them from some other dealer.

Offline gryan39

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Triumph tiger800
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 11:36:21 PM »

Offline MikeG12

• Tiger Member
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
Those are the basics for checking clearances. I bought the Triumph service kit which also gave me the timing cover gaskets, air cleaner, chain rubbing strip and some other parts which I didn't use right now.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »
 I got away without changing the cam cover gasket for 3 or 4 times
I had one available but never needed it
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Recent Topics