Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dealertool comm problem  (Read 933 times)

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
Dealertool comm problem
« on: March 11, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
Hi all,
I have tried to connect to my tigers ecu today using dealertool only to find in device settings that there is an error symbol on the cables comm port icon on screen, I have tried re-installing the drivers and tried using different USB ports and I still have the same problem  :148:, could this be a driver problem? Has anyone else had this problem?
Professional tinkerer, novice green laner and arm chair racer

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Dealertool comm problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »
Uninstall the current driver and reboot without the cable in.
Reboot again and then install the driver without the cable in.

Connect the cable

That should at least make sure the correct driver is being used.

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
I have tried that now so the driver is now ok. I also emailed dealer tool and they sent me the driver fix, which I have executed.
The error message has now gone and the driver is correct so it should work but isnt.
I had a problem a while back with pin 7, so I have given it a wriggle and tested it and it is ok, Is there a way of re-terminating the pin?

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC & Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »
Normally the pin 7 contact in the socket fitted to the bike's loom can be pushed fully into position from the loom side of the socket. If that doesn't work you'll need to extract the faulty pin from the socket (fairly easy) and check for a decent connection to the black & green wire.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »
I have now re-terminated pin 7, I have tried again but still no joy. I have checked the driver that the dealer tool cable is running and the date is 24/09/2008. could it be that the driver is wrong as I know drivers can be a pain sometimes?  :173:

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:18:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mattytiger800 [+]
I have now re-terminated pin 7, I have tried again but still no joy. I have checked the driver that the dealer tool cable is running and the date is 24/09/2008. could it be that the driver is wrong as I know drivers can be a pain sometimes?  :173:
Yes it's possible that it's a driver issue, but you said that Dealertool sent you a fix so it should be OK. In your other post (HERE), you said that TigerTool works initially but then doesn't allow you to do any more. This would suggest that your driver is working fine.

You can easily check comms with the ELM327 OBD2 interface cable by opening any terminal software (e.g. HyperTerminal) and setting the port parameters to 38400 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity. Then send the command 'AT Z' and the interface should reply with '>AT Z' followed by 'ELM327 v1.5' (or similar depending on the firmware version). This should work with the lead just connected to the PC but in some cases you also need to have it connected to the bike to get full power. It all depends on the internal design of the interface lead and I have both types.

If the Windows driver nor pin 7 on the lead are a problem, it may be an issue elsewhere in the loom, possibly at pin A24 on the ECU. You can use a meter to do a continuity check between the pins at the OBD socket and the ECU to check this. If your bike has ABS then the same signal goes to pin 10 on the ABS ECU. One final point, I have seen interface leads where pins haven't been connected properly, so the issue can occasionally be in the lead and not on the bike.

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
ok I have tried testing the pins on the interface cable with a multi meter and found no problems. I have also re-terminated pin 7 and again checked connection and found no issues. I have also exectuted the driver software fix from dealer tool and am still getting the same problem. I have removed the driver completely and tried installing a new version dated 2017 and am still getting the same problem. I have also tried trying to connect to a triumph scrambler I have here and again it will not connect to the bike, I can only presume that it is a driver issue. :148: :173:

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 11:46:28 AM »
...I can only presume that it is a driver issue. :148: :173:...
...or a faulty interface, because you've already said that revised Dealertool drivers did get something going.

Have you tried the tests I mentioned above using a terminal app?

What happens when you try it with TigerTool? If it makes initial contact then you should get some details in the 'Info' tab.

Offline Mattytiger800

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 12:13:24 PM »
tigertool gives me the bike info but fails when trying to read fault codes etc. I have since tried my tablet with tunecu. I connected the tablet via a kkl cable and found that it worked and allowed me to do everything. So it has gotta be a problem with the obd cable or drivers etc on laptop.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
tigertool gives me the bike info but fails when trying to read fault codes etc. I have since tried my tablet with tunecu. I connected the tablet via a kkl cable and found that it worked and allowed me to do everything. So it has gotta be a problem with the obd cable or drivers etc on laptop.

TuneECU working with the KKL cable eliminates it being a pin 7 issue.

If TigerTool is giving you the bike info then it's definitely NOT a Windows driver issue. OBD cable fault is the only remaining possibility, and it's not the first that I've seen. I know of members who've opened their interface leads to fix a wiring fault inside for similar reasons.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch