Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor running  (Read 1378 times)

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
Poor running
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:44:36 PM »
this is an odd one and I'm really not too sure where to start looking...

bike is a 2013 XC with about 43k miles, it's used daily for my 55 mile commute to work and has been totally reliable, until this afternoon.

The ride in this morning was a perfectly normal cruise, fast A road & motorway pretty much all of the way.

This afternoon I started the bike and it fired up normally, I went to pull away and it bogged down a bit so I gave it a bit more throttle to pull away but I could tell it didn't feel right straight away. The engine sounded like a twin with about a 1/3 of the power. As I was getting into the middle of v.heavy traffic I chose to carry on. about a mile later I stopped at traffic lights and I could smell the engine was hotter than usual, much louder than usual and generally sounding and feeling crap. No lurching or coughing / spluttering, just generally crap.

I stopped and had a good look around the engine for any obvious signs, there were none so I carried on limping home. fuel consumption dropped from my usual 49mpg to 40mpg even though I was riding much slower.

I think that the left hand exhaust header is running cooler than the other 2, so I pulled the tank off and swapped the no1 and no2 coils but there's no change.
pulled the air filter out and it's pretty clean but the crank case breather into the back of the airbox was completely full of mayo. The engine oil is clean so I'm not really too worried about the breather, cleaned it all and re-assembled.

I'm sort of suspecting an electrical issue, I checked as many connectors as I could for security and all seemed to be ok. At idle the engine sounds perfectly sweet but under even the slightest load it's not happy. I don't have the software / connector to plug in a laptop, but if there's anyone in the forest of dean / chepstow / Bristol area that has got one and is willing to loan it, I'd be ever so grateful.

what next do you think?

Offline Gasman

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Poor running
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
I know this may sound obvious but it sounds like running on 2 have you checked the plugs?

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
Nope, I've done very little tbh. I realy wanted to do a bit of googling before getting too stuck in burning my fingers on hot spark plugs   :001:

had a poke here and there, swapped the coils over and checked the air box is about as far as I've got so far. going back out the garage in a minute

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »
Right, just pulled the plugs and they are all gapped at about 0.6 - 0.7mm, no 2 and 3 are a light grey colour, no1 is ever so slightly more sooty but not so much to be a concern so they all look ok.

It looks like it could be heading to the stealers   :161:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »
The EML comes on if a coil goes down & the motor runs like a pig on a spit. Had that.

Simple things first, like been said, check plugs then fuel tank for crud or water.

If plugs & fuel ok, I'd do a compression check next, could be a valve.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Gasman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 08:07:52 PM »
Do you have any old or new ones you can change them with to eliminate any problems. It is really a process of elimination so start with the easy things. I have dealertool and tunecu so I would then be plugging in and looking for faults if I could remember how to use them.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
Thanks guys

After a chat with a mate in the business (but too far away to pop round for a look) he suggested popping the plugs out and doing a simple compression test by putting my hand over the plug hole and trying to seal it, this would at least tell me if there was any one pot that's massively different.

I did this, no sign of anything out of place so I chucked the plugs and coils back in, tank back on and fired it up.

purring like a (43k miles old) kitten    :138:

run it up the road for a couple of miles, no problems at all.   :157:

I just have to wait and see what happens over the next couple of days.

Offline Gasman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »
Ooooo scary have you seen any ghosts around?  :156:

Offline chico

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 04:55:35 AM »
It's the old finger trick. It's amazing how things get fixed by fingers. :492: :125:

Chico

Offline philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
It's the old finger trick. It's amazing how things get fixed by fingers.

Reminds me of the old jokes about aircraft service logs:
Pilot log "Something loose in the cockpit"
Maintainer note "Something tightened in the cockpit"
Find the Line

Recent Topics

winded-staunch