Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRx Low 2017
Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »
My concern is Where to fit the TomTom?

On the current model you have the perfect location, Eye level and above the Instruments with some protection offered by the (touring) screen.

It looks like Handlebar mounting is the only (less than ideal) option on the new model.

Has anyone looked closely at this issue?

Regards
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT & a Tiger 800 XrX low.

Offline The Reaper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
Re: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »
I can almost guarantee that Triumph will come up with a (expensive!) GPS mount option.

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by The Reaper [+]
I can almost guarantee that Triumph will come up with a (expensive!) GPS mount option.
I can also guarantee someone will come up with an inexpensive home made option nearly as fast...

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Referring back to my photo:

I think there would be a chance of running a bar from the upper fixings on one side of the bracket top to the other, and putting a satnav on that, which would place it nicely just above the instruments. You could probably bolt the satnav cradle direct to said bar, avoiding that mucking around with RAM mounts.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:35:44 AM »
Yes, I looked at this and thought exactly the same, the screen mounts don't look strong enough to carry a sat nav unit.
But as has already been said, someone will come up with something very expensive...

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »
Sat Navs aren't that heavy.  Seems the screen mounting is  tailor made for the job.
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
How strong do they have to be to resist the push of a screenful of wind at quite a lot of mph?
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline revvykev

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRX
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 09:44:16 PM »
This mount is listed within the Tiger accessories, it forms part of the mirror clamp assembly. I have one on my XRX and it works very well... 

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
I think there would be a chance of running a bar from the upper fixings on one side of the bracket top to the other, and putting a satnav on that, which would place it nicely just above the instruments. You could probably bolt the satnav cradle direct to said bar, avoiding that mucking around with RAM mounts.

I would look at this very carefully before I proceeded. People said exactly the same thing about the Africa Twin and mounted GPS units on the horizontal bar that supports the screen above the instruments. Then they went off road and onto rough roads. Then the bar broke. Then Honda said no warranty Charlie that bar is not designed to accept the weight of a GPS on rough terrain so you are on your own.
Keep in mind that as those brackets are part of the bike they have to pass all sorts of safety tests including that they will break easily enough if a rider goes over the bars. They are designed to be only as strong as the absolutely need to be.
I'm sure the aftermarket people who are not really required to meet the same safety standards as the manufacturers will no doubt come up with something soon enough but I would be waiting to see what options appear and how well they work and in the mean time running a handlebar mount.

One more thing. I thought that those slots were designed to allow the screen to slide up and down. Fixing a bar across there may mean no more screen adjustment.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:15:35 AM by K1W1 »

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »
Looking at the screen mounting bottom bolts, they appear to be spaced out from the back of the instruments.
Depending on the strength of that area, it's feasible that a mount could be fabricated that replaces the spacers and extends up to accommodate a GPS

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Recent Topics