Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800  (Read 15175 times)

Offline bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
Re: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike on a Bike [+]
Any Tom Tom users that can advise further?

Nope - mine, a TomTom Rider 400, is rock steady.

Offline Mike on a Bike

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »
Looking at the photos again, as previously posted it is best in that configuration to use a metal penny washer to act as a bearing and use a lubricant such as Petroleum jelly or Vasaline between the screw and the washer.

And if you do not want the screw to come undone as Mike said use some Loctite or similar on the thread. Making sure that the screw is tight, but not overtightened. I prefer nut and screw for many reasons as already supplied.

Well done everyone and thank you it is good to see international cooperation.

Michael

Offline polkay

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger XRT
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2019, 08:21:40 AM »
Are these Sat nav bars still  available, looks like it would solve my Sat nav mount problem

Danny

Offline bendy1974

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
I got a bracket from Mikeonabike, finally have had the time to get it fitted looks and feels great will get out tomorrow and find out what its like on the road. Thanks to Mike great solution to mounting the satnav.

Online DisqoG

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800XRx
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2019, 12:20:13 AM »
 :417: this is on the 800XRx Low
I had a standard Ram clamp handlebar mount for my TomTom and a jawgrip for my iPhone which was a total mess and had to position the tank bag just so and still had a hard time with the phone.
I got the https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-6U (US$22.99 - cheaper on Amazon) and mounted it to the clutch/mirror perch. One of the stand-offs had to be ground down a touch to fit under the mirror boss. Add a drop of medium strength locktite and voila!
I decided to use the standard length arm fixed to the upper ball canted a titch to the left / outside and a long arm https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U-C (I think) attached to the lower ball at about 30 degrees inward and more protected by the windscreen while keeping the display clear.
Good luck
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:21:58 AM by DisqoG »

Offline Oldbear

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2019, 01:32:02 AM »
I put a ram mount on the bars (right over the word Triumph), a short extension and mounted my TomTom Rider.  Works great though might need something different if running a tank bag.

Online DisqoG

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800XRx
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2019, 05:28:35 AM »
I thought that area was too low to keep in view and would limit my peripheral view of the road when focusing on it. Not to mention interfering with Instruments Display especially considering I wear bi-focals.

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by DisqoG [+]
I thought that area was too low to keep in view and would limit my peripheral view of the road when focusing on it. Not to mention interfering with Instruments Display especially considering I wear bi-focals.

I mounted a Garmin Zumo GPS in that spot using an SW Motech part number GPS.11.646.10201/B.  When I'm sitting on the bike, the GPS screen appears directly below the TFT screen.  Neither screen is blocked and there isn't much of a gap between them.

I know that popular opinion around here is that the GPS should be closer to my line of sight when I'm looking at the road ahead of me, but I don't really want to see the GPS screen all the time.  I want to see where I'm riding.  I don't want to be distracted by the GPS screen, I just want it there in case I need it.  I also like that it tracks where I've been.  My phone tracks me too, but the GPS gives a much more accurate track.  Having it mounted on the handle bar works perfect for me for the way I use it.

I think the windshield mounts look great too, I just prefer the handlebar mount for myself.  Choose whatever location works best for you and ride safe.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2019, 09:17:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by TigerBC [+]
Having it mounted on the handle bar works perfect for me for the way I use it.

I think the windshield mounts look great too, I just prefer the handlebar mount for myself.  Choose whatever location works best for you and ride safe.

:0461: works for 'ME' with the Zumo also bluetoothed to my comms I don't find it distracting. My bars are also raised on Triumph and Rox risers so a bit higher than standard roadie bars.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Oldbear

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2019, 01:10:59 PM »
As noted, it works well for the TomTom Rider.   It is well below the instrumentcluster so no blocking issues at all.  I too have bifocals and have no problem seeing it clearly.   It very well might be an issue with a tank bag, but without it is fine.   I glance at it occasionally as I ride, same as I do the instrument cluster.  Pretty much the same focal plane.

Recent Topics