Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800  (Read 17706 times)

awagnon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline polkay

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger XRT
Re: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »
Have received my mount bar from Mike am in the process of cleaning it up and will paint it before mounting. Will post photos when finished.

Danny

Offline TDU

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Suzuki GSX1400
Yamaha XT250 (Missed)
Yamaha XT660
Triumph Tiger 800 XRx

Offline Mike on a Bike

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »
Where to Route SatNav Wiring

I have recently been asked about where is the best route for the SatNav Wiring. I can only reply by showing where I put it. I am sure there are others that could offer different routes. I chose the right side, I am sure others would chose the left. I chose the right as considered it to be the shortest route to the battery.

Before I started I found a stiff/flexible piece of Galvanised wire. Bent over the end and then attached some soft cotton string to the  bent over end. Over the knots I put a couple of turns of Insulating Tape. Stops the wire from scratching the paint work.

Next was to remove the Thigh Panel. Just remove one allen screw and wiggle until it comes off. Then from the Battery Box  I pushed the wire down under the frame, whilst doing my best to follow the frame until it popped out next to the steering. I then pulled the string to give me the mechanism to pull the SatNav loom through to the Battery Box. I disattached the wire and pulled that out of the way.

My First Photo shows the finished Wiring

I put the Cable over the SatNav Bracket then down behind the screen to the steering cavity.

In the Steering Cavity I fixed the cable onto the panel as shown keeping the cable away from the moving steering parts.

The Cable was pulled through by the string past the white bottle and under the fairing.
At this point everything gets tight so always put the biggest things through first. On the Garmin 595 there are all sorts of connectors on the cable and not sure what any of them do!! So always put them first on the pull through string. Attaching by electrical tape or other. The rest of the wiring has to follow the connectors and ends of wires.

As you can see I was under the frame and then came out over the frame.

I secured the cable to the frame at this point to make sure it did not go for a walk afterwards. Meaning it stayed in place.

Finally I came out over the frame and into the battery box under the Thigh Panel.

I hope the description provided shows my chosen route in enough detail for others to follow if they so wish. My biggest problem was the large connectors that had to be pulled through some very tight holes. And ease do not force through the tight spaces. And if you do not think you are capable seek advice from others.

Michael

Offline Nebulafairy

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRX
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2019, 07:29:39 AM »
Hi Mike,
Are the satnav brackets still available? I have the triumph handlebar mount and Im really struggling with it.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
:0461: works for 'ME' with the Zumo also bluetoothed to my comms I don't find it distracting. My bars are also raised on Triumph and Rox risers so a bit higher than standard roadie bars.

Stevie.P
Can you post up a picture of yours with the SW Motech bracket and Zumo, I've got an old Zumo 550 which needs a fairly solid mounting  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
Hi Dilbert
I think you have misread/misunderstood my reply, I was agreeing about not having an issue with the satnav on the handlebars. I believe you need to contact TigerBC, previous post #117.
I have Triumph satnav handlebar mount.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online TigerBC

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2019, 04:05:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I believe you need to contact TigerBC, previous post #117.

I'm out of town for a few days, but I can post some photos when I'm back home next week.  The SW Motech mount is solid and there is no vibration on my Zumo 595.  I'm quite happy with it.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by TigerBC [+]
I'm out of town for a few days, but I can post some photos when I'm back home next week.  The SW Motech mount is solid and there is no vibration on my Zumo 595.  I'm quite happy with it.

Cheers
I've got the OEM bracket at the moment, but the SW Motech one looks a bit more permanent, like the Touratech ones, but less expensive, just looking into options at the moment.
Now available in "Batman"

Offline TigerBaines

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
Has anyone used the mount from Free Spirits (model# 309024)?

See here: https://www.freespiritsparts.com/en/mobile-and-navigator-supports-for-triumph-tiger-800-kit.html

It fits the 2018 Tiger by using the screen centre support. I am waiting for delivery of my 2019 XCA and I'm hoping it fits that as well. Can anyone confirm that the screen centre supports are the same on 2018 and 2019 models?

Here is a pic of the bracket on what I think is a 2018 model:

Here is a screenshot of the mount manual:

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
The 18s are the same as the 19s.

That's a good find. If this mount works properly, it looks like the best solution I've yet seen for the current bikes to put the nav in the line of sight, better than the alternative that some have made which uses the lowest position on the variable screen positions to mount a lateral bar upon which the nav can be fitted. Problem with that idea is that you lose the lowest setting position of the screen though that doesn't matter if you never intend to use that position.

I'm using the Triumph mount on my 19 T800XRT for the nav. It's a simple but very neat and unobtrusive small handlebar clamp. No ugly ram mounts needed. Works well enough but you do have to glance down slightly to see it. The other possible objection to this siting is that a tank bag might obscure it, and a large one such as the Triumph official accessory version, which is a Givi tanklock, definitely will.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:06:30 PM by Phurtim »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch