Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800  (Read 21063 times)

Offline coddy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Where to fit Sat Nav on new 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kolai [+]
This one is a lot more solid. No cut outs this time and strengthening bends have been included to reduce any flex. I havent taken it off-road as I dont have anywhere to take it but on road its solid as a rock.

Cool, I don't go off road anyway. If I ride up and collect can I part exchange the old one I bought from you?

Offline Kolai

• Tiger Cub
  • If it aint broke, break it.
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2019, 09:57:09 PM »
Pm sent Coddy

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2019, 09:30:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kolai [+]
This one is a lot more solid. No cut outs this time and strengthening bends have been included to reduce any flex. I havent taken it off-road as I dont have anywhere to take it but on road its solid as a rock.

Your design is very interesting, well done for a nice idea and it's certainly far cheaper than the pricey Free Spirits version linked above, though theirs does include the flexible mounting head in the price so doesn't require the addition of a RAM or other mount which yours does as I understand it. But even so it must work out a lot cheaper.

I think the lack of an upper mounting point for a nav or phone is a design flaw on the current Tiger 800 XRT and other variants which is a bit of an omission on a bike designed for long journeys and touring, especially since the whole bike was updated last year with a new dash etc. and navs on bikes are hardly a new idea. The turn directions that can be incorporated into the TFT screen with a coming update are a poor substitute for a proper nav or phone. Ideally TFT screens should be able to incorporate full navs so as to obviate the need for a separate nav or phone but the technology aint there yet it seems, or maybe there's no incentive for the makers to offer this.

How do you think that your mount compares with the FS model, accepting of course that understandably you will be biased?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:41:10 AM by Phurtim »

Offline Kolai

• Tiger Cub
  • If it aint broke, break it.
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Phurtim [+]
Your design is very interesting, well done for a nice idea and it's certainly far cheaper than the pricey Free Spirits version linked above, though theirs does include the flexible mounting head in the price so doesn't require the addition of a RAM or other mount which yours does as I understand it. But even so it must work out a lot cheaper.

How do you think that your mount compares with the FS model, accepting of course that understandably you will be biased?

To be honest I cant compare the two because I havent tried the free spirits mount. I can say that my mount is solid and doesnt move around.

When I designed it I already had a sat nav dock for my TomTom so all the mounting hardware was already included. All I needed to get was a B-347 Ram ball to mount onto my bracket and I was set. A Ram ball costs about 10 on top of the cost of the mounting plate so still considerably less than the free spirits.

Last year my design was more expensive due to the Ram ball being included and higher manufacturing costs. This year I decided to let buyers buy their own ram ball to keep the cost of my mounts down but maybe that was a short sighted.

I think the free spirits mount looks nice, however its only using the lower two screen mounting screws so I have to question how stable its going to be. Maybe someone who has bought one could comment.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:32:34 AM by Kolai »

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I doubt there will be many users here of the Free Spirits mount because it costs an eye-watering 148 with postage from the UK supplier, ARH Custom.

https://www.arhcustom.co.uk/product/free-spirits-gps-navigator-support-in-black-finish-for-triumph-tiger-800-309024r/48461#

Offline Phurtim

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »
On that vid, someone has asked about stability for the FS mount and he replied:

Its worked really well, as you can see in the video there is a rubber bung that sits on the screen. In practice the mount only moves as much as the screen does

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »
Ordered Kolai's version 30, already got the Ram Mounts (and many others) and Garmin adaptor, the advantage of a RAM mount is that you can easily remove it when the SatNav isn't in use, wasn't entirely keen on the large black plate directly behind the screen, but it'll give me somewhere to put my white Manchester Bee sticker  :016:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline watky

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Member
  • 2018 XRT
  • Bike: Xrt 800
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »
Similar to my idea posted 22nd May  (sat nav 2018 my solution). Though mine was made out of alum plate. Works great with no issues. Nice in stainless steel though  good job !

Offline HansTiger800

• Tiger Cub
  • Dutch Biker
  • Bike: 800 XRX white
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
Just fitted the Kolai GPS plate/bracket.
Perfect fit and very stable.
This weekend i will test it out riding!

cheers
Hans
Before on a GS550, GS750, GS1000, ST100 (x2), ST1300. Now on a TIGER 800 XRX
cheers
JJB

Offline cwadej

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '18 XCx
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »
I made a large plate very similar to Kolai's.  It's T shaped by necessity, but the shape works with the brand  :007:

I used .187 thick aluminium, . Very rigid. The weakness here is the plastic frame work for the wind screen. Some vibrations on bumpy roads, and off-road of course.

Also know that with this large plate it's blocking a light receptor on my 2018, so the TFT screen is always in night mode.  I prefer this, but some may not.

Recent Topics