Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Galfer Rotors  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
Galfer Rotors
« on: March 17, 2018, 02:55:57 AM »
I fitted recently Galfer full floating rotors on Versys 1000 and there is a huge improvement, which is also a testimony of other bikers.  They make them really well, and they look amazing.  I looked for the ones to fit Tiger but it appeared that they do not list them for Tiger.  So I emailed them, and I found out that they do have them.  They are cheaper than for Versys.  The fitting disc pads need to be sourced from another model.  If someone is interested, these are the links:

http://galferusa.com/product/triumph-2015-tiger-800-front-disc-df930flw

http://galferusa.com/product/honda-2003-vtx-1300-s-front-pads-fd266g1375

there have also cheaper pads, regular sintered or semi-metallic.  I somehow trust their pads more than EBC ones (the last ebc ones I had on Versys were chipped in some places after a short use), and anyway, to keep the warranty one is supposed to use their pads.

by the way, only Galfer has the patent for full-wave rotors.  All the other companies make semi-wave rotors, which have the wave pattern only on the outer circumference. 

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:04:05 AM by Kris »

Offline frenc

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: xc 800
Re: Galfer Rotors
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
Hello,  have you fitted the disc rotor  galfer df 930 flw, on your tiger, it's all right, you've had problems with assembly, I'm interested...ths.

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by frenc [+]
Hello,  have you fitted the disc rotor  galfer df 930 flw, on your tiger, it's all right, you've had problems with assembly, I'm interested...ths.

Actually, I just got the Galfer rotors and need to wait a few months before installing them (i am in a different country now) plus their ceramic sintered disc pads.  What sort of difficulties did you face with installing them???  I fitted Galfer's on Versys 1000 and they are vastly superior to OEM.  I was told by Galfer staff that they should fit Tiger.

Offline frenc

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
 I have not bought, but I read, that some with tiger 800, have had problems to mount 5 mm braking discs rotor, with sensor abs, galfer rotor discs is 5mm, more I do not know, wait for those who mounted 5mm discs rotor.I want know.....

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »
Think you'll find most, if not all, discs are 5mm new. Certainly my ABE discs were.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline frenc

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 09:27:08 PM »
I know, but the original rotor disks of the tiger 800 xc are 4.5 mm, brembo.....

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
So I have finally fitted the Galfer Rotors, with Galfer sintered pads, and I noticed immediate improvement even though the pads are not yet bedded in.  These rotors are made so well...

On another note, there was a discussion here some months ago about turning the bobbins.  In my opinion, if the bobbins turn, they are just damaged.  Even in Galfter's full floating rotors, the bobbins do not move.  Trying to turn them around seems like a misguided practice.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
On another note, there was a discussion here some months ago about turning the bobbins.  In my opinion, if the bobbins turn, they are just damaged.  Even in Galfter's full floating rotors, the bobbins do not move.  Trying to turn them around seems like a misguided practice.

There are different designs of bobbins. I've seen the round bobbins mostly and I've occasionally seen square bobbins which clearly won't rotate .... but will, like round ones, clog up with dirt and possibly eventually sieze. I prefer the round bobbins and the ability to clean them once a year and keep the disc freely floating.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
There are different designs of bobbins. I've seen the round bobbins mostly and I've occasionally seen square bobbins which clearly won't rotate .... but will, like round ones, clog up with dirt and possibly eventually sieze. I prefer the round bobbins and the ability to clean them once a year and keep the disc freely floating.

the square ones are from EBC.  but none of them, square or round should move around.  there should be a minimum play to allow the floating action and cleaning bobbins does make sense, but not rotating them.  by forcing the bobbins to rotate, there will be an excessive play or bobbins will get damaged because they are held from the other side by some clip...

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »
I had a talk with Galfer tech guy, and he too said that there is no need to clean those bobbins, unless giving them an air spray or some brake cleaner. he said that they should not be moved forcefully or else there is a risk of damaging them. 

Recent Topics