Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Galfer Rotors  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Galfer Rotors
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »

Offline Kris

• Tiger Master
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 09:31:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
/>

I am familiar with this video.  I personally would not put too much trust into what this guy is saying there. 

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 12:43:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]
I am familiar with this video.  I personally would not put too much trust into what this guy is saying there.
I don't know much about this topic. Can you say what you find incorrect about his discussion?

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 05:38:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kris [+]

I have no worries about this video, it makes perfect sense. Though not annually I recently did this to mine after 3.5yrs and just as the brake dust clearly builds up and hardens in the disc drillings so it logically gets around, builds up and hardens on the bobbins. Clean brake cleaner gets sprayed on but black gunk certainly comes out for quite a period.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,8042.msg286346.html#msg286346
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 09:21:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by UncleGary [+]
I don't know much about this topic. Can you say what you find incorrect about his discussion?

Being Delboy it's bollocks.  He thinks the bobbins are there to aid the disk sliding from side to side.  They are not.  They are there purely for thermal expansion - It's a brake and it gets hot.  The disk portion heats up and because of the bobbins can expand radially.

Delboy (never trust anyone who puts a hand held grinder in a vise!!!!) has this whole turning the bobbins thing to free them up.  Wreck them more like.  Don't do it.  Especially new EBC disks that use square bobbins.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 03:20:12 PM »
Just googled bobbins in brake discs and this is interesting :084:

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/the-facts-about-floating-motorcycle-rotors-or-discs-by-ebc-brakes/

Safe Riding Dave
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,tiger800 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »
I hope everyone here agrees the Del boy bobbin video is utter krap.
Don't do that! You'll wreck your bobbins. They are fine.
They  only allow radial expansion/contraction of dis-similar metals under differing heat loads.
Your calipers are designed for  lateral movement, not your disks,
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 06:39:01 AM »
Have to disagree. If the bobbins are round, then they should have free movement in a circular motion. All he did was free up that motion. And the bent washer is also to allow movement, that's why you have floating discs. Otherwise if there were no need for them to move, you would still be using the standard 1 piece disc.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Your calipers are designed for  lateral movement, not your disks,

The budget callipers on the T8's might move but that is for cheapness not to account for bent rotors. Quality callipers eg 4 or 6 pot don't move.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
Have to disagree. If the bobbins are round, then they should have free movement in a circular motion. All he did was free up that motion. And the bent washer is also to allow movement, that's why you have floating discs. Otherwise if there were no need for them to move, you would still be using the standard 1 piece disc.

Race bikes had full floating discs & some Ducati's in years gone by, they rattled like hell.
Normal road bikes were fitted with semi-floaters with some side clearance but with the wavey washers to stop them rattling about, Triumph fitted this type to the 900 Sprint in '94 to replace the previous solid discs, they worked well, similar on the 955 Sprint.
On the 2005 onwards 1050 Sprint they did away with the wavey washers & tightened up the side play but they had a much greater clearance in the bobbins, this allowed approx. 2mm radial movement in the disc on a new bike, notable by the knock while manoeuvring. This play & knock made them wear quickly giving MOT testers cause for concern at relatively low mileage. Aprilia had gone the same way with similar problem. My 955 Sprint discs were still sound at 60k miles while I had this issue with a brand new 1050.
The Triumph discs now fitted on the 1050 & 800 Tigers have virtually zilch side movement, the bobbins are a good close fit, simply allowing for diametric heat expansion of the disc.

This spinning the bobbins idea is imo a load of bollux. I clean my discs occasionally with a scotchbrite pad to remove the transfer of pad to disc. Each to their own on that, it works for me.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch