Tiger 800 / 900 - Main Discussion Section > Brakes and ABS

Galfer Rotors

<< < (2/5) > >>

frenc:
I know, but the original rotor disks of the tiger 800 xc are 4.5 mm, brembo.....

Kris:
So I have finally fitted the Galfer Rotors, with Galfer sintered pads, and I noticed immediate improvement even though the pads are not yet bedded in.  These rotors are made so well...

On another note, there was a discussion here some months ago about turning the bobbins.  In my opinion, if the bobbins turn, they are just damaged.  Even in Galfter's full floating rotors, the bobbins do not move.  Trying to turn them around seems like a misguided practice.

Stevie.P:
Originally Posted by Kris On another note, there was a discussion here some months ago about turning the bobbins.  In my opinion, if the bobbins turn, they are just damaged.  Even in Galfter's full floating rotors, the bobbins do not move.  Trying to turn them around seems like a misguided practice.
There are different designs of bobbins. I've seen the round bobbins mostly and I've occasionally seen square bobbins which clearly won't rotate .... but will, like round ones, clog up with dirt and possibly eventually sieze. I prefer the round bobbins and the ability to clean them once a year and keep the disc freely floating.

Kris:
Originally Posted by Stevie.P There are different designs of bobbins. I've seen the round bobbins mostly and I've occasionally seen square bobbins which clearly won't rotate .... but will, like round ones, clog up with dirt and possibly eventually sieze. I prefer the round bobbins and the ability to clean them once a year and keep the disc freely floating.

the square ones are from EBC.  but none of them, square or round should move around.  there should be a minimum play to allow the floating action and cleaning bobbins does make sense, but not rotating them.  by forcing the bobbins to rotate, there will be an excessive play or bobbins will get damaged because they are held from the other side by some clip...

Kris:
I had a talk with Galfer tech guy, and he too said that there is no need to clean those bobbins, unless giving them an air spray or some brake cleaner. he said that they should not be moved forcefully or else there is a risk of damaging them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version