Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph Tiger 855  (Read 691 times)

Offline thommo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 885
Triumph Tiger 855
« on: March 19, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »
 :003: What a nightmare after having to take the carbs off to fit a new air filter they just don't line up with the airbox to re assemble. Have to take them off the head again !! to see if there is someway to get them to fit. Whoever designed this should be shot.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Triumph Tiger 855
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
I had an old "Steamer" (that's what they are affectionately know as if you didn't know) for a number of years. One of the great first generation Tigers. Whilst it probably is considered to be a poor design to remove the carbs to change the air filter, in essence it's something that isn't done that often  :002:

If you're working outside, in this weather then I can understand the frustration, however if you're tinkering in the garage take your time enjoy the experience of working on your bike and spend a little time getting things right  :017:

It pays to do your own work and whilst doing one job it's often possible to see something else that may need doing or cleaning up. When you've finished you can be 1. Proud that you've done the job 2. You've done it as well or better than anyone else could & 3. You've saved yourself some money to perhaps spend elsewhere on the bike  :028:

Bike maintenance & cleaning shouldn't be underestimated, after all it's your pride and joy and you wouldn't want it to let you down in the middle of nowhere  :156:

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:05:52 PM »
There's not a lot of room on the spinebacks to get the carbs on and off. You need to pull the airbox back as far as it will go and push the carbs through, then jiggle it all together.

There's a mod that quite a few people have done - cutting the rear part of the air filter box in two. See http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/106669-air-box-mod.html for example. I'm about to do it myself on a Trident 900.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
I had a '94 900 sprint, never had any problem with removing the airbox, certainly never removed the carb's to do it. Seems a bit of confusion here.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline thommo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 885
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »
 :471:dead easy on that model 885 has frame running over the airbox

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:09:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I had a '94 900 sprint, never had any problem with removing the airbox, certainly never removed the carb's to do it. Seems a bit of confusion here.

Then you're a miracle worker or had a non-standard airbox on it. I have had two Trident 900s, one Tiger 900, and one Daytona 900, and they all needed the carbs removed to get the air filter out as it's a horseshoe shape that fits round the frame, and you can't get enough clearance to take the airbox out with the carbs in.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Then you're a miracle worker or had a non-standard airbox on it. I have had two Trident 900s, one Tiger 900, and one Daytona 900, and they all needed the carbs removed to get the air filter out as it's a horseshoe shape that fits round the frame, and you can't get enough clearance to take the airbox out with the carbs in.

I think I would remember if I did that, I may have found a way around it. Maybe not, 'cos I haven't had two Trident 900s, one Tiger 900, and one Daytona 900. I only had a '94 Sprint. A lot of stuff in the Haynes was very laborious, it said to take the cams out to change valve shims, when Triumph sold a tool to change shims with cams in situ. Somebody says that's the way to do it & many just follow suit.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics