Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Center stand problem  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Center stand problem
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 11:57:30 AM »
@dasf - Really neat looking solution. Kudos  :493:
Give a man a fish and he'll demand chips, a six pack of stella, 20 fags and a scratch card to go with it. Make him do some work for his fish. He'll aporeciate it more.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 12:57:59 PM »
The knack for me is to lift at the pillion peg bracket so I'm lifting in the same upwards and backwards direction as the stand does.  I'm a 65kg weakling and find it quite easy.

Offline thosirl

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
I'm the same, find it tough to get the bike up on the centre stand.

I also find it difficult getting it back off the stand - I've got a very smooth garage floor, and when pushing/rocking the bike forward it just wants to scrape/drag along the floor. Need to stand on it and push at the same time. I miss my old CB500X where I could jump up and just lean it forward off the stand, very smooth.

Offline FloridaMarine

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRt
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by thosirl [+]

I also find it difficult getting it back off the stand - I've got a very smooth garage floor, and when pushing/rocking the bike forward it just wants to scrape/drag along the floor. Need to stand on it and push at the same time. I miss my old CB500X where I could jump up and just lean it forward off the stand, very smooth.

I also had an issue getting off the center stand on my XRt.  My dealer said to "scuff up" the bottom of the feet with emery cloth/abrasive to cause more friction between the stand and the floor.  Works much better.

Bob
2018 Tiger 800 XRt
1983 Honda GL650
1978 Honda CX500
1973 Honda CB350/F

Offline Gasman

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
I snapped my Achilles Tendon putting mine on the centre stand so removed it so I wouldnt try again. I used to put my lowered GS on the stand a little easier.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »

Which is the correct way to take a bike off the stand, you have total control
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 01:52:46 PM »

I always make sure the bike is in gear before I push it off the stand  :002:
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC,XCX, CB1300,
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »
The XC centerstand design is wrong (at least on my 2012 model). The shape does not give enough mechanical advantage (leverage). No technique is going to help.
if you compare it to other MCs you can see the curvature is too sharp and the foot pad is too short.
I have resorted to just using a wooden ramp on the rear wheel and simultaneously thinking about what a sh*# design it is.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2012
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]

...I have resorted to just using a wooden ramp on the rear wheel and simultaneously thinking about what a sh*# design it is.
I have a 2012 roadie and I have no problem with the centre stand, getting the bike on the centre stand in not about brute strength, it's all about technique. I'm not a big guy, 5ft-6, 11 1/2 stone (160 pounds) and I can throw it on the centre stand dead easy. I used to struggle like hell (blocks of wood under the rear wheel and all that) until I learned the right way. Here's a couple of good tips... when you push the stand down to the floor you MUST have both the feet of the stand on the floor, otherwise you will struggle. Push the bike gently away from you and feel for both the stand feet on the floor, get up close to the bike, bend your knees, grab the frame low down, and just lift up and back. That's how I was taught, I find it easy, it never fails...try it.  :002:
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 12:13:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
I have a 2012 roadie and I have no problem with the centre stand, getting the bike on the centre stand in not about brute strength, it's all about technique.

Sorry but in this case you are wrong. I used to say exactly the same as you and I have owned two Tigers a 14 Roadie and a 16 XRX and I have been putting bikes on centre stands since the early 1970s with no problems. One day @chuckxc got me to try putting his bike on the stand. It is impossible for any mere mortal. There is a fundamental design problem with the stand on some of the early Tigers and that is all there is to it. Whether a particular Tiger can or can't be put on the centre stand is entirely random depending on which stand is fitted.

Recent Topics