Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Center stand problem  (Read 6068 times)

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
Re: Center stand problem
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 12:30:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
...Whether a particular Tiger can or can't be put on the centre stand is entirely random depending on which stand is fitted.

Maybe chuckxc  has the wrong stand fitted? as far as I know there are two, one type is higher than the other.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:32:11 AM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan Me

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 05:04:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
Maybe chuckxc  has the wrong stand fitted? as far as I know there are two, one type is higher than the other.

Chuck owns a XC which requires the longer stand. If he had the short XR (Roadie) stand the problem would be the opposite the stand would barely if at all lift the rear wheel when in the down position.
My personal theory is that Triumph brought in a batch from somewhere that were either designed or manufactured incorrectly and then subsequently changed the product slightly but never did anything to sort of the people who got the "faulty" products.
There is enough evidence from people who have owned multiple bikes for many, many years who have never had any issues at all putting bikes on centre stands but can't on a Tiger to indicate that the problem is not simply technique.
I'm sure that if you want to fly to Melbourne Chuck would be more than happy to let you demonstrate your technique on his bike. We could video it for everybody here to see if you want.  :001:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 05:07:48 AM by K1W1 »

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 07:00:56 AM »
I have a 2011 XC and initially had trouble getting the bike up onto the centre stand until I learned the correct technique, or at least what works for me every time.

Now there's no lifting involved nor special handles fitted and I have no problems using it. Even my wife, who's around half my weight, can do it.

This is an original 2011 XC so I can't say whether Triumph may or may not have changed the centre stand design in later years.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 07:57:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]

I'm sure that if you want to fly to Melbourne Chuck would be more than happy to let you demonstrate your technique on his bike. We could video it for everybody here to see if you want.  :001:
Flight tickets booked...on my way  :492:  just trying to be helpful, no need for your unnecessary sarcasm.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:14:16 AM by gordybrock »
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline KPTIGER

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2019 TIGER XRT
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »
Still a problem on 2019 XRT. Not easy to get on or off the stand - I am 5ft 9 and 80kg.

Last bike was 2011 Bandit which weighed at least 30kg more - It was much easier to operate the centre stand.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »
Try left foot to operate the stand.  I find it easier that using my right.  I also position my left foot so my toes are facing forward and the stand lever is in the arch of foot against the boot heel.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline JMc

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
If you are doing it at home, roll the back wheel onto a piece of wood 1st then operate the center stand, it doesn't need to be very thick but makes a world of difference.

Jmc

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 02:35:04 PM »
You guys are right it is a PITA to get up. So given I was already on my tippy toes on the road I lowered the front suspension 25mm then actually made some dog bones and did the same on the rear.(stage 1)

Given I was gearing the bike up for a big trip with lots of baggage I actually put the bike on a scissor lift, removed the center stand, then cut the tubes, inserted a inner tube then drilled 3 or 4 holes up and down the two shafts so that I could raise and lower the stand height. (see photo.)

I then put the rear wheel on a piece of wood say 10mm and tried setting the stand height to the rear wheel, hoping it would be just of the ground on the second hole, and f I used the first hole the tyre would be just dragging or sitting on the ground - but the whole exercise of lifting it onto the centre stand would be simple. Was coming down from 30 mm in the air after I lowered the ride height.

Happened to be at the bike races and noticed a XR and when I measure the stand it it seemed to be the perfect height that I was theoretically chasing but couldn't find one at the wreckers and or they were ridiculously expensive new or non standard over the net.

So set it up on the bike, set the tubes at hole one bolted it together and wow, it fell onto the stand. Pretty chuffed at this stage UNTIL I tried to put the side stand up and #$% it hits the frame arm of the centre coz the stand frame is now closer to the mounts. (eg shorter tubes)
So had to go back to the second hole and cut the side stand base with the angle grinder, more *%#$.

So whilst doing that I shave more off and fitted an aluminium plate to enlarge the foot print.

Outcome;
Side stand just scrapes on the centre but seats into stopper ok. Better if pushing of the centre when the side stand is still down. No issue here.
Rear tyre is arond 10m of the ground so dont need to park on dead flat for service & chain oil. (since fitted a Cobra oiler anyway)
Relatively easy to pull up now, however have just finished gearing up with a 46 rear Givi top box, saddle bags & another 8 or 9 kgs of tent, camping  & sleeping gear.

So with another say 25 ~30 kg back behind the riders seat it is a concerted effort to stand right foot on the arm, roll forward a smidge, grab my 'belt' style handle fitted to the frame just under seat high and pull back, lift and weight all in one go.

Will probably opt to unload my bike at the end of the day and then lift onto the centre. With as small block of wood it would be much easier I am sure.

So my gotcha was the side stand hitting the centre when they are both up, if the side had been a fraction shorter then I would have gone bolt hole one and I would have creamed the issue.

As it sits now almost fully packed it actually balances between the front and rear depending on how much fuel I have in the tank.... but I can still get it onto the centre.
(ps dont get all thingy about the way I have things strapped down, this is not final design)

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »
Strike a light! Massively surprised by this thread. I've owned Suzuki Bandits both 600 and 1200cc and Triumph Sprint 955 that I couldn't budge at all but I've managed to get the Tiger 800 up and back of it centre stand and I'm 5'5 and 10st which I think is about 62kg.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
Strike a light! Massively surprised by this thread.
Same here I was most surprised to hear about the possibility that Triumph used different types of centre stands with the 1st generation Tigers. I had massive trouble to put my 2013 roadie on the centre stand at first but with a technique of pushing down the stand and pulling the bike back using the pannier frame as a handle I manage to do that. However I dropped the bike once as I was not pushing hard enough the bike dropped on its feet and I couldn't hold it and it went to the right side. No damage as I could slow the bike down while going on the side.

So I always thought, it's just stupid me and some other idiots not being able to put the bike on the stand with ease, look at all the posts where people tell you how easy it is. Now I learn that Mr Triumph is probably playing tricks on us....
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch