Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Satansjester, deposit down on tiger, returning to biking at 40.  (Read 654 times)

Offline Stumps

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018Tiger800 XRX
Re: Satansjester, deposit down on tiger, returning to biking at 40.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »
Welcome Satansjester! While youre waiting for the instructor to show up theres YouTube! Theres some seriously good instructional videos on there to refresh your memory on the things you probably knew but forgot. Try Seaflyfishers Motorcycle Masterclass series of videos;  https://www.youtube.com/user/seaflyfisher

/>
or some of Roadcraft Nottinghams vids;
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq49az9efu7sa8YNx2cQhe_MUgTA9-hNH

This one should be watched by anyone that commutes;
/>
At the very least, showing an interest in self preservation should keep the missus happy!  :001:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:40:01 AM by Stumps »

Offline NeoHurricane

• Tiger Member
  • Live, Love & Respect
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »
 :401: welcome to the group!

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »
I'm a Steve from Cheshire, had a 2011 (DU11) T800 with Maxton suspension, took it up to 42,000 miles and sold it about 3 years ago, but it was white, not yellow.

Without the Maxton suspension it's already a good bike, but the Maxton really sorts out the handling and makes it much better, I don't know who told you that it struggles over 90mph, mine never did, pretty much ideal cruising speed on the M6, I went all over on it including many of the T800 meets.

The M6-M5 is ok for getting to Worcs if you're in a hurry and don't travel at peak times, but the A49, or A483 are much better routes, a T800 will handle these just fine, even two up with luggage  :028:

I came back to bikes at 46, (very) nearly 14 years ago, similar track record regards crashes, but had a biggy a couple of years ago, first time I ever broke a bone and did it in style with what surgeons refer to as "complications", so as others, get some training, buy good gear and take it easy  :016:

Offline Satansjester

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone, I picked up my tiger today, and drove it a hundred miles on motorway and A road back home, it was a genuine pleasure at all speeds and all road types, even the motorway, which I wasn't looking forward to was fine, overtaking is a breeze, I kept at between 70-80.

Looking forward to exploring the Worcester area now, and will be looking for groups, meets and rides in the area.
Thanks
Jim

Offline squeezer

• Tiger Member
  • Squirelly Geezer
  • Bike: '16 XR-sort of x
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
I also got back into bikes at 40, just over 20 years ago. Welcome back! It was one of my better decisions.   :001:

I recommend picking up a copy of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. Bit of a U.S. bias, but has the best real world riding advice I've seen. I send a copy to every kid I know who buys a bike. And I had my son read it before he hit the road.

You're going to love this bike.

Offline wrinks

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 02:11:53 PM »
 :401:
Back to training. Either IAM or ROSPA will give you a good start at not extortionate rates. Maybe even discount on insurance  when you pass. (most groups have a good social side as well)
Stay safe and enjoy the Tiger.
The older I get, the better I was.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch