Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light  (Read 18359 times)

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Low oil pressure light
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
Back again for more advice. The oil pressure light comes on at idle, but goes off again when I in crease the rpm to 2000.
 Any advice ( relevant), appreciated.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Low oil pressure light
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »
1. check your oil level (@cause it's easy to do)
2. check your oil pressure sensor.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
Any advice ( relevant), appreciated.
3. check oil pressure w/mechanical gauge: 49 psi @ 5K RPM (oil @ 80*C)
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:42:26 PM »
thanks for the prompt reply lads, would ye think it would be ok to drive if I kept the revs up? why would the revs have a bearing on it and I assume the oil pressure valve is the sensor behind the head, and when removed the pressure  tester would screw in instead. Any idea where I could pick up the appropriate tester

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
I assume the oil pressure valve is the sensor behind the head, and when removed the pressure  tester would screw in instead.

Any idea where I could pick up the appropriate tester
Correct -- on top of the crankcase, behind the cylinders, under the throttle bodies.

An automotive parts store should either have one or can order one -- an adapter may be nec. (diff. threads/etc)?
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:16:14 PM »
Great stuff! Any ideas about the idle speed illumination of oil light ? Only comes on when engine is warmed up and stopped at traffic lights / slow moving traffic. Should I not ride the bike until I have this problem sorted.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »
First, are you sure of the age/condition of the oil, as in, it has definately been changed in line with the service schedule (i.e about 12 months/6k miles). If the oil is old, dirty and worn it will have thinned out which could give low idle oil pressure when hot. If in doubt renew it. :027:

I (personally) would (if happy about oil condition) go straight to eliminating the Oil Pressure Switch for the sake of 25 from Triumph before spending that amount or more on a pressure gauge .... that would be my next step if the new switch didn't clear the 'idle oil light'. :028:

Raising the 'idle speed' definately isn't the answer IMO. :151:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT 2018
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »
Was the oil filter changed at your last service?
What is your bikes mileage, although oil pumps don't usually give up the ghost on modern triumphs.

I am just thinking that at low revs the oil circulating system may not be efficient.

I do bemoan the fact that oil and temperature gauges are no longer fitted to vehicles these days. They were a great early warning system.

Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
I have everything stripped back and the low oil pressure sensor wire removed from the sensor. How do I test it to see if it works properly.as I say the oil light comes on at low rpm.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »
I would think that the resistance @0 psi should be 10 ohms - that's all you can check with it off really.

Can you clarify what the condition of the oil and filter is?

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch