Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light  (Read 16387 times)

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Low oil pressure light
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
Oil and filters all fresh. The manual says to  disconnect the wire from the sensor and run a jumper wire from the sensor to earth,  turn on ignition and if the oil light comes ON , the switch needs to be renewed. Do they not mean if the oil light
does NOT come on the switch is faulty.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 10:00:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
...the low oil pressure sensor wire removed from the sensor. How do I test it to see if it works properly.
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
I would think that the resistance @0 psi should be 10 ohms - that's all you can check with it off really.
The manual says to  disconnect the wire from the sensor and run a jumper wire from the sensor to earth,  turn on ignition and if the oil light comes ON, the switch needs to be renewed. Do they not mean if the oil light does NOT come on the switch is faulty.
I think what they're telling you refers to NOT having an oil pressure warning light and checking to see if the oil pressure sensor switch is at fault?
The oil pressure warning light and the oil pressure sensor switch are both checked every time the ignition switch is turned ON.
Oil pressure in the (running) engine's lubrication system supplies pressure to the oil pressure sensor switch to change it from normally closed to open -- thus, shutting off the oil pressure warning light. It usually only takes a few PSI to open the switch (typical oil pressure sw.).
Low oil pressure in an engine can be a serious issue -- the oil pressure warning light is telling you to check (or, have checked) the engine's oil pressure w/mechanical gauge to avoid a serious issue.
You may need to remove the sump for oil pump, pick-up, strainer, etc. inspection/cleaning/repair.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:11:39 PM by AvgBear »
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 10:28:28 PM »
Could I fit an oil pressure gauge instead of a sensor? Then if the light still came on I could remove the sump and access the pump n strainer, pressure  relief valve.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:44:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I (personally) would (if happy about oil condition) go straight to eliminating the Oil Pressure Switch for the sake of 25 from Triumph before .....

..... I started stripping the engine apart ... just to eventually find it was simply a weak oil pressure switch after all .... always start with the easiest and simplist options first and the pressure switch would still be my no.1 suspect.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Turbo100

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 17 Tiger 800 XRt
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »
The most likely fault will be a faulty oil pressure switch, for the price of the switch stick one on it or put an oil pressure gauge on it before you start ripping things apart
I'm Not As Old As I Once Was !!

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 10:59:15 PM »
Thanks I will order a new switch 2morrow and fingers x that will be the end of it .Your were spot on when you said the manual was referring to, NOT having an oil light.  Both tests showed  the sensor good but then it says, if the light comes on when engine is running , ASSUME the switch is faulty and replace it.

Online Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 12:32:33 AM »
1: change oil & filter

2: change oil pressure sensor

3: start looking at oil pump/ blocked oil galleries etc.g

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 06:50:17 AM »
Could I fit an oil pressure gauge instead of a sensor? Then if the light still came on I could remove the sump and access the pump n strainer, pressure  relief valve.

The light either wouldn't come on or it would be constantly on if you remove the sensor
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 03:52:55 AM »
What one T800 rider did (reply #5) -- 2nd sentence / 2nd paragraph:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,22597.msg257080.html#msg257080
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:01 PM »
 :027:lads , I have replaced the low oil pressure sensor, but when I took the bike out today the oil light came on again after about 10min, only at idle,  My question is !
What do I check next. ?
                                              Regards.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch