Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light  (Read 20608 times)

Online Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Low oil pressure light
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2018, 11:50:15 PM »
Roel, just jumping back into the thread again,I've been off the road for some months now , nothing serious  just  :019: You certainly get ten out of ten for your outstanding tenacity and you willingness to  strip the engine to solve our common problem ,leaves me just gob smacked. I'm watching this thread with great interest.I'm sure everyone is wishing and hoping you will be successful. This is PREMIER LEAGUE stuff, best of luck my friend .       :046: 

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 (2011)
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
Hey Sean, good to see you again ! I hope you are alright.
Thanks for your kind words. I'm just a curious and persevering guy when it comes to mysterious technical problems. :001:
Did you eventually manage to sell your bike ?

Online Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
Hi Roel,  I thought I had the light problem sorted.I as it stayed off for a few weeks, (regular driving).I advertised the bike for sale and it sold almost immediately. However  :157: the night before the collection,  the light reappeared! !!!!  I had to inform the buyer of this and he consequently pulled out of the deal. Since then I have re installed the original chain tensioner,  so the bike is back to the spec I bought it at.
Will see how I get on over the next few weeks.
 By the way , did you ever get in touch with  Triumph?

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
Hi Roel,  I thought I had the light problem sorted.I as it stayed off for a few weeks, (regular driving).I advertised the bike for sale and it sold almost immediately. However  :157: the night before the collection,  the light reappeared! !!!!  I had to inform the buyer of this and he consequently pulled out of the deal. Since then I have re installed the original chain tensioner,  so the bike is back to the spec I bought it at.
Will see how I get on over the next few weeks.
 By the way , did you ever get in touch with  Triumph?
Yes, i remember that you cancelled a deal because the light came back on again after several weeks without any oil light showing up. Very annoying and frustrating. It is no fun to ride a bike knowing that something is not quite right.
I did contact a few Triumph dealers with my story, but only one dealer replied with useful information : He remembered that he once repaired a bike with a low oil pressure problem. The bike was owned by a guy who lived in a big city and who only ride the bike in the city. So a lot of short trips at low speed, so the bike does not get the chance to cool down (no riding wind). The result was that the crankshaft bearings were worn down even though the bike had a rather low mileage. And when the crankshaft bearings are worn, the oil pressure become too low.
He looked up where my bike was first used and found that the previous owner lived in a big city in Germany. So he said that i should check the crankshaft and main bearings to see if they were worn down, even though my bike only has about 27500 km.

Online Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2018, 09:31:02 PM »
That's a coincidence!  My bike also came in from Germany,
 I bought it privately in Ireland  and when I went to the local bike shop  here to order some parts they were able to tell me
the bike originated in Germany! I'm eagerly awaiting your discoveries with the stripdown.

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2018, 10:25:13 PM »
Well Sean, this is what i found after 3 evenings of measuring, re-measuring and double-checking :

I measured all crankshaft journal diameters, crankshaft bore diameters with and without the bearing shells, the bearing shell thickness. I repeated every measurement multiple times at different points to rule out mistakes.
I used professional micrometers (inside and outside micrometers) that i was lucky i could borrow from work, so i'm confident that the measurements are correct.
I also did a double check to confirm the clearance measurements :
  • Check 1 : Crankshaft bore diameter (including bearing shell) minus crankshaft journal diameter = clearance
  • Check 2 : Crankshaft bore diameter (bearing shells removed) minus crankshaft journal diameter minus upper bearing shell thickness minus lower bearing shell thickness = clearance

i can definitely confirm that :
  • All the crankshaft big end bearing clearances are outside of the service limit, so need replacement.
       All big end bearing clearances are around 0,090 mm while the service limit = 0.070 mm.
  • 1 main bearing clearance (nr 4, furthest away from the oil supply) is outside of the service limit, so needs replacement.
       The clearance :  nr 4 = 0.085 mm while the service limit = 0,070 mm.
  • 3 main bearing clearances are not outside of the service limit, but outside of the standard range (0.020 to 0.044 mm).
       The clearances : nr 3 = 0.051 mm / nr 2 = 0.058 mm / nr 1 = 0.060 mm (closest to oil supply).
  • The crankshaft big end journals of cylinder 1 and 2 are at the low end of the standard range, so they had some wear but are not below the service limit.
    All other journals are within or close to the standard range (32.984 to 33.000 mm).
       Crankshaft big end journal diameter cyl 1 = 32.985 mm / cyl 2 = 32.982 mm

The crankshaft journals don't show deep scratches but normal wear patterns. Nothing abnormal or extreme.
The crankshaft bearing shells all show normal wear, no discoloration, no extreme situations, no deep scratches. So no disasters but normal wear.
The camshaft journals are all within standard range and the clearances are also all within standard range. I see normal wear on the camshaft journals, so no problems there.

Conclusion :
I'm sure that the low oil pressure in my bike is mainly caused by worn down crankshaft big end bearings (the ones that connect the piston rods to the crankshaft)
and one worn crankshaft main bearing (the one furthest from the oil supply).
I can only guess why the bearings are worn down at only 27500 km. I didn't find anything that indicates real extreme wear or abnormal situations.
So the wear of the bearings must have been accelerated by some issue that has been going on for a long time. A few months ago i found that the coolant was deteriorated
and probably has been for quite a few years. Possibly this has caused a higher temperature (not overheating) within the engine, so also of the bearings. When bearings get
hotter than normal, they wear faster. If that has been going on for years, then that might be an explanation.
But that is just a theory that i can not prove ....

Online Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »
F me! What do you intend to do now ?

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2018, 11:00:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
F me! What do you intend to do now ?

Well, the crankshaft itself is still OK, but all the bearing shells (14 pieces of about 10 Euro each) need to be replaced.
First i have to check which size of shells i need to get the right clearance between the journal and the bearing shell.
With all the measurements i did, i can calculate what shell size i need for each crankshaft journal to get the clearance right
Triumph provides 4 shell sizes for the main bearings and 2 for the big end bearings.
In the service manual is a selection chart for the bearing shell sizes. So that is the next step before i can order new bearings.

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2018, 05:41:22 AM »
 :028:!

Offline Turbotom

• Tiger Member
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
Compliments  :062:

Tom