Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light  (Read 17689 times)

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Low oil pressure light
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 05:30:36 PM »
You need to check the oil pressure or get it done

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Captain Crazy

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC-R
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »
As Rtwo says ... your next step now is to get your hands on an Oil Pressure Tester (you can pick one up cheap with various adaptors for around 16 to 20) and check the actual pressure reading of your engine where the sensor screws in.  If not you run the real risk of screwing your engine up ... big time!

Without knowing the full history of your bike ... not just maintenance wise, it's hard to say what's causing your issue but if it's not the sensor then something internal is (very possibly) up the swanny?

CC

TIGER 800XCR - ''BLACK on BLACK''

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
Lads
 I did what ye suggested,  changed the sensor. The light still came on at idle.If I use an oil pressure  tester @ 5000rpm how will that tell me about pressure  at idle.?

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
If I use an oil pressure  tester @ 5000rpm how will that tell me about pressure  at idle.?
If the pressure at 5K RPM is significantly lower than 49 PSI it is then out of spec and there may be a problem with oil pump and/or related parts - or engine mechanicals.
Cross the idle pressure bridge when (or if) needed.
It usually only takes a few PSI to set the switch and turn out the light -- so the switch & light are of little use in determining oil pressure. But, can still be valuable for notification of a dangerous situation.

"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
Thanks Avgbear.
  As I say I replaced the low oil pressure sensor,  I'm going to change the oil and filter to that  recommended in the manual, even though I changed them last July and did very little milage since. If that dosent work, I will buy a pressure  tester send check the pressure. If everything checks out OK  ,should I then go and remove the sump and get access to the pressure  relief valve. Would that make sense. After that I don't know  what  I  can  do.

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »
I'm wondering could I  possably have done somthing when doing the  shims  that would effect the oil pressure . The engine  is  running  fine with no unusual noises.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 05:53:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
...could I  possably have done somthing when doing the  shims  that would effect the oil pressure.
It's certainly 'possible'. You might want to check your work.
The camshaft bearings are lubricated by engine oil being pumped through the lubrication system. The bearing to shaft clearances are quite small: 1 1/2 thousandths ~ 3 thousandths -- with a max clearance of .005".
If a bearing cap got fitted wrong or somehow buggered and had excessive clearance? -- you certainly could lose oil pressure there.
If your oil pressure light at idle came right after doing camshaft work? -- checking the camshaft bearing surfaces condition may be advised. Even checking the clearances.
"I've a fine felt hat and a strong pair of brogues
and I've rosin in my pocket for my bow.
My fiddle strings are new and I've learned a tune or two
and I'm well prepared to ramble I must go."
Tommy Makem

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »
When you say , bearing  cap fitted wrong do you mean one of the buckets? . The engine  sounds fine!. I will do a check on the shim clearances again so, before I do anything else.
If everything checks out OK, should I then check out the pressure  relief  valve? or would that have no thing to do with the ( low) pressure light coming on at idle.I could just drive it down to a shop and get them to  sort  it out  , but id'e like to do it myself.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
The bearing caps are integral to the camshaft ladder. The top part in the pic below
It's worth lifting it again to check your work, blow through any oil ways and make sure it's spotless
Same with the cams, buckets and cylinder head

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »
That's great,  That's what i'll do !
  Thanks very much for the advice I will keep you informed of my results. ☆

Recent Topics