Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light  (Read 9818 times)

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
Re: Low oil pressure light
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2018, 09:50:01 PM »
Gentlemen,  I have to say I (and I'm sure many others on here) am MORE than impressed by the tenacity and perseverance you have both shown to get to the bottom of this problem.  The scientific approach to diagnosing and trouble shooting this problem on both your bikes is nothing short of exemplary!

Your steeds are indeed very lucky to have you guys as their owners able to bring to bear your 'tender, yet scientific ministrations' when they begin to exhibit symptoms of unhappiness!

It certainly looks like you really are on to something regarding the 'un-seeable' build up of rust and corrosion in the water jackets and galleries.  Right there in your coolant filter rag is undeniable evidence of the importance of doing regular coolant changes. 

Given the age of your bikes (7 years old now?) this would suggest the interval between coolant changes has been, ahem', 'stretched somewhat' by previous owners?  Or someone before you used replacement coolant incompatible with what was already in there perhaps?

Lets hope that seeing your oil light on when it shouldn't be will soon be just a distant memory.

And thanks for your kind words re writing, I do enjoy it I have to say, but as you have seen, I do tend to 'bang on a bit' at times.

Happy properly cooled oil riding lads and thanks for having us tag along on that journey of enlightenment.

Cheers...Tony
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:51:47 PM by herdygerdy »

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 (2011)
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
Thanks Tony.
Well, i want to get to the bottom of this problem or at least as deep as i can get, because low oil pressure is an alarm signal that shouldn't be ignored. And i've read quite a lot of stories of people that paid a lot of money to have parts in the sump replaced, but still have the same problem. Of course similar symptoms do not mean it's the same disease, but it calls for a a careful diagnosis to find the disease.
The alternative to replacing parts, which often is faster but more costly, is to gather data and to try to eliminate as much as possible problem-causes hoping you end up with the actual cause. The more "scientific" approach takes more time to research, gather information, measure, find methods to eliminate, test, but gives more insight and knowledge along the way.
The thing is that you're looking at a black box with a problem inside, but you can't look inside of the box. So you have to check/measure everything around the box to find out what is going on inside. And that's always a challenge.

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
I did a temperature test with thermocouples. The upper temperature is the coolant temperature in degrees celsius measured at the water pump inlet and the lower temperature is the temperature of the cylinder measured at the outside of the leftmost cylinder.
At the moment the bike is not showing the low oil pressure light anymore since i flushed the cooling system thoroughly several times now.
In the video you can see that the coolant temperature and the cylinder temperature stay close together as it should be and both the cylinder and coolant temperature do not rise above 100 degrees celsius. The engine is not loaded and the measuring points are not perfect, but at least i can easily repeat the test when the low oil pressure light would come on again to check if the temperatures run away further from each other than in this video.

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
Ya, I agree with Hurdy ,  well done Roel.Hope you have it sorted.

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Seanocaoimh [+]
Ya, I agree with Hurdy ,  well done Roel.Hope you have it sorted.

Thanks Sean.
Well, everyone has the right to have at least 1 abnormality. One of mine is that i see these kind of fuzzy problems as a challenge (like Don Quichot de la Mancha fighting windmills).
If it helps me and maybe others (who like to read a lot) as well, then it's worth the effort.  :028:
I'll keep you posted.

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
Viva la Don !

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2018, 02:29:17 PM »
Interesting vid Roel. Nice job to show proper data gathering. I have to say that for a minute there it looked like you had balanced the thermocouple gauge on the back of your (maybe?) VERY bald shiny head!  Sorry, the Devil made me do it! 
Good job & excellent diagnosis. Aint no shop going to do that kind of analysis 👍😎🏍

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2018, 10:52:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by herdygerdy [+]
I have to say that for a minute there it looked like you had balanced the thermocouple gauge on the back of your (maybe?) VERY bald shiny head!  Sorry, the Devil made me do it!
i had to watch the video again to get the "bald head", but now i can't watch the video anymore without seeing a bald head all the time !  :156:

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
 :232:
 Just for that are those interested, that low oil pressure light has reappeared again. I had a buyer for the bike , but when the light came back on I couldn't let him have it without informing him of the situation first. Needless to say he walked away. The annoying thing about it is the bike is going and sounding fine.Don't know what else I can do.???

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2018, 11:58:50 PM »
I'm contacting Triumph dealers in the Netherlands now to see if they can give some advise or diagnosis options for this low oil pressure issue.
In my Tiger the issue improved by flushing and cleaning the cooling system.  But when ambient temperature is above 30 degrees (which does not happen often) ) , the low oil pressure light appears again.
Meanwhile I even replaced the oil pump,  but it did not help. It seems like anything I do only helps temporarily.  The issue keeps reappearing after some time when riding in hot weather or with long rides on motorway speeds.

Recent Topics