Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low oil pressure light  (Read 13881 times)

Offline Roel1964

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 (2011)
Re: Low oil pressure light
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by SOHUTAA [+]
I am afraid to misunderstand !!
All these worries would have been generated only because of the non-replacement of the coolant?
Is it this ?

I'm not 100% sure that (1) the prematurely worn bearings and (2) the deteriorated coolant causing rust/gasket seal flake, that might have clogged up the radiator/heat exchanger, are related. If the bearings wear faster when they run at a higher temperature then normal for years and years, then maybe the cooling problem caused the higher temperatures.
The big end journals had suffered the most, as i can see in my measurements. They come closest to the hot cylinders. On top of that : there are 3 oil sprayers that spray the oil from 3 of the main bearings against the bottom of the 3 cylinders, to cool them down. If the oil pressure is already suffering, i can imagine that the sprayers also lose some effectiveness, because they spray less hard ? So then the cylinders also become hotter.
Can the temperature of the bearings raise enough to cause premature wear, without raising the temperature of the coolant into an overheating-situation ?
I don't know.

*Originally Posted by SOHUTAA [+]
The Tiger seems to be from 2011, and this liquid would be original?
Can we replace this HD4X Hybrid OAT with a coolant for cars, compatible with aluminum alloys?

Maybe the original liquid was mixed with a non-OAT coolant with the same or similar color. When i started investigating the problem, i flushed the coolant and the color was greenish. I'm not sure what the color of the original OAT coolant from the Triumph factory is. I replaced it with OAT coolant from Castrol (Radicool) which was orange/red. All i know is that the last time that i let the coolant out to disassemble the engine, there was no rust and no other particles in the coolant at all. The coolant had been in there for a few 1000 km. So it sure stopped the rust.

There are several types of metal and non-metal that the coolant comes in contact with : aluminium (water galleries), steel (cylinder liners, head gasket), copper (heat exchanger)...,
so you need coolant that is is friendly to all these metal types. I will stick to what the service manual says : Hybrid OAT.

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2019, 08:00:49 PM »
Thank you for these prcisions.

Offline herdygerdy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 17 White XRT
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2019, 10:23:51 AM »
Seems like you are making steady progress Roel, thanks again for having us along on such a PITA journey, none of which has been your doing.

What are your plans from here?  New big end and main bearings, clean out all the rust etc, new head gasket then put it back together?  If yes, on a scale of 1-10, (1 = no chance, 10 = hell yeah!), how confident are you that you will have solved the low oil pressure light issue?

Is there a way to ensure ALL oil galleries, not to mention the big end 'squirters' and oil pump (IIRC you've done that one already?) are all surgically clean and all rust removed before putting it back into one piece?  It would be a real heart breaker if you did all this excellent, well thought out and very methodical analysis, diagnosis and problem resolution only to find the low oil pressure light is still "a thing".

With you in spirit Roel, even if only from upside down on the other side of this big ass rock...

Cheers....herdygerdy

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Roel1964 [+]
Well, i'm sure that it does not look like a healthy head gasket.
I'm surprised that it didn't already leak.
If it had been leaking?, it could've caused higher than normal temps and ethylene glycol anti-freeze has been a known corrupter of plain metal bearings when mixed with (contaminated) engine oil.
Reportedly, antifreeze ruins motor oil's lubricating abilities - when mixed - and affects the crankshaft bearings notably.
Old poem from 'back in the day':
You'll never wear out the Indian Scout -- or its brother the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks to take hard knocks -- it's the Harleys that give all the grief.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch