Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bluetooth In-ear buds.. Help required  (Read 924 times)

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Blue XRx
Bluetooth In-ear buds.. Help required
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
Before I start, I appreciate listening to music while riding is a contentious subject.
However, on the longer motorway sections, while touring, I like to listen to music from my phone. This is usually achieved via wired ear buds. I normally wear ear plugs anyhow.

My question is... Has anyone tried /use Bluetooth buds and found them satisfactory.

I'm currently trying one from fleabay but it doesn't have the required volume.

I know I could buy a bespoke product but I don't want to spend that kind of money for such occasional use. I am from Yorkshire after all.

My TomTom is bluetooth as well but I only have that connected to check who is ringing, I don't generally want to answer the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tom

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Pro
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Bluetooth In-ear buds.. Help required
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
I've tried a few types of Bluetooth earbuds with a sat nav. I don't listen to music whilst riding. Find it too distracting. Anyhow, none of them have had sufficient volume to be audible at anything above 30-40 mph.
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:14 PM »
I use a Sena 20S (with earplugs) and find it perfectly loud enough at up to about 70mph for music, communication, GPS instructions and FM radio (built into the Sena).
For music I do tend to use a wired connection to the Sena from an old iPod mini but I have streamed music via BT through my phone and it works just fine.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:32:08 AM »
You'll never get any current BT earbuds to produce enough volume, let alone cheap ones.
Like K1W1, I have Sena 20s speakers and they're more than adequate

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Waiting
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I use a Sena 20S (with earplugs) and find it perfectly loud enough at up to about 70mph for music, communication, GPS instructions and FM radio (built into the Sena).
For music I do tend to use a wired connection to the Sena from an old iPod mini but I have streamed music via BT through my phone and it works just fine.

K1W1, have you experienced any issues with the Sena 20s during wet weather use?  I am currently exploring my options for rider to passenger and GPS instructions and have read that the Sena products are 'water resistant' rather than 'water proof'  and have been known to suffer water damage during normal use in wet weather.  I believe the Cardo Scala is classed water proof.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
have read that the Sena products are 'water resistant' rather than 'water proof'

I suspect the definitions are more to do with lawyer speak than actual differences in water resistance.
I've had the Sena for a number of years (4?) since not long after they were released. In 2016 it spent 4 days and some 3000km in torrential rain conditions through New South Wales then sleet and light snow coming back into Victoria through the alps. Last November it was in Tasmania in 1C temps with snow falling and on the same trip it did 600 or so km of dirt roads with thick dust all around. In summer it's been in temps up to 40C and a bit beyond. Overall it would have done 50,000km plus in rain, sleet, snow, hail, dust and sunlight. Its never missed a beat.
The only issue I have is the dreaded Bluetooth pop from time to time and that is quite simply caused by my wife not pressing her 20S fully onto the helmet housing. The  pop usually lasts about 2km when we get to the bottom of the street stop and attach her 20S properly.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:11:47 PM by K1W1 »

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
I've had a water related issue with the remote control for my Sena 10U

It got very wet on a ride in Portugal last year and stared toggling through all the menus so that' all I could hear - "radio on, radio off" "second phone paring" etc.

Because you can't switch it off, I had to give it to another one of our crew to look after, I then had to avoid getting too close to him or it would start again  :001:
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Waiting
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
Thank you both for your replies, I believe the 20 Evo has been improved.

:152:
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline petesear

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Because you can't switch it off, I had to give it to another one of our crew to look after, I then had to avoid getting too close to him or it would start again  :001:

The remote does switch off, push the front button and toggle button at the same time for 2 seconds, the red light flashes and the unit is off.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but here goes anyway...

I've been using a pair of Sure SE215 ear buds plugged into my scala g9x daily for the last 3.5 years.

these ear buds are ace, they block out enough of the traffic and wind noise for things to be nice and quiet, and the sound quality is ace. I have the volume turned down as far as it can go on the scala and it's comfy.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch