Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stepper Motor acting up  (Read 1452 times)

Offline smokekitty

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800XC
Stepper Motor acting up
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »
Hi, all. After replacing the starter in my 2011 xc, the stepper motor is now not working. I had to remove the stepper motor (bracket and all) to get the throttle bodies off and now it wont move when bolted back up. The bike wont start without me holding the throttle open. When I remove the stepper from the throttle bodies and cycle the ignition, it barely moves up when key is turned on. Then when the key is turned off it will cycle up and down. But when bolted up it wont move at all it just makes noise and wont move the lever up at all to crack the throttle bodies open. I'm wondering if there is some sort of adaptation or reset I need to perform after plugging it back in or if this stepper is just done for. Any help appreciated I need this baby back on the road!

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Stepper Motor acting up
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by smokekitty [+]
I had to remove the stepper motor (bracket and all) to get the throttle bodies off and now it wont move when bolted back up. The bike wont start without me holding the throttle open.
I'm wondering if there is some sort of adaptation or reset I need to perform after plugging it back in.
Any help appreciated!
If you remove the stepper motor? -- when re-attached, it has to be set up using the Triumph diagnostic tool.
I've ridden all-around the United States and parts of Arkansas.

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:40 AM »
hmmm ....

I came out from lunch one hot day after a long morning ride and my 2011 xc that was parked at a step incline wouldn't start without using a lot of throttle and the stepper wouldn't hold an idle.  As I was two hours from home, I nursed it out through traffic, stop lights and a gas stop onto the hiway home carefully making sure I was always on the throttle to keep it running.  By half way home everything was working as normal. 

I am not recommending this as a cure, but if there is a software reset for the stepper motor built into Triumph's diagnostic tool, it may be that the ECM can sort out the settings on the stepper motor on its own - in much the same way that the bike adjust to a new tune, clears codes, etc ...

:027:

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
And that's why mine doesn't use the stepper any more.
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline smokekitty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:53:46 AM »
I could try and nurse it around and see if that fixes it. The dealer is booked out a month for service so I cant get it reset til then and tuneecu on my computer wont connect to my bike for some reason. Is that for sure that it needs to be reset after being disconnected from the connector? Seems right because I don't see how it would crap out just by being unplugged. I was also considering installing a manual adjuster. What parts did you use to bypass the stepper and install a manual adjuster?

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
Manual Idle Speed Adjuster Kit - A9618076
Stupid is as stupid does.  Look Dad... No hands!!

Offline D6864

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »
Can you move the throttle lever manually with the stepper removed?  Perhaps it's jammed, maybe by something that shifted during the starter motor change.

Adaptation will run automatically if you leave the bike idling for 12 minutes but, unfortunately, this has to be without opening the throttle.

Offline smokekitty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Yeah the linkage moves fairly easy on its own. I can move it with only slight pressure but when i remove the motor and hold the shaft down to try and prevent it from moving I cant. I cant stop it from moving but the linkage with slight pressure stops it. I might try adjusting the adjuster nut as there is no real gap between the roller and the actuation arm on the tb. If that doesnt work Im considering doing a manual replacement. Seems a lot cheaper and more reliable. In that kit all that is pictured is the actual screw adjuster shaft. Any brackets to hold it on or do you modify the stock stepper bracket?

Offline Cats

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:30 PM »
Here's a link.  https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,19896.0.html   I'm still waiting to get round to doing mine. :138:
Tiger 800. There's no effing need for it.
Gnats cock

Offline smokekitty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
So it connects to the stop screw not through the stepper linkage?  Also you need to hold the roller arm out of the way? Ill take a look tonight and see if thats something i want to do. This is much too frustrating for me. Literally one problem after another with this cat. I am thoroughly done with it and just need it to work so I can sell it and let it be someone elses problem. Hopefully no more bs after this stepper issue finally gets sorted

Recent Topics

winded-staunch