Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Chain and Spockets !  (Read 6346 times)

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
New Chain and Spockets !
« on: April 29, 2018, 12:53:47 AM »
Forced myself in to action as Megameet looming and a number of tasks to get done. Started with these goodies today ...

.. top of the range D.I.D ZVMX chain (for up to 1300cc bikes) and JT sprockets (opted to retain the cushy ring version, JT do a plain one as well).

So, within the confines of my front garden bike bay. Front sprocket cover removed to reveal 2.5yrs worth (14k miles) of lube build up.

Sprocket nut didn't fight me thankfully. 36mm socket on my extending car wheel nut brace and sat on bike with rear brake applied made easy work of it. The front sprocket teeth were hooking forwards.

After a wash down with paraffin the new sprocket and chain fitted, nut torqued and lock tab re-used.

Unfortunately then the rain arrived as I started to remove the rear wheel but fortunately not too hard so I decided to carry on and get the job done today, so sprocket renewed and wheel all cleaned.  :017: :152:

As has been discussed, the 124 link chain on the roadie puts the adjusters well back in the slots before the wheels have even rolled. The lower back corner of the adjuster block is a mere 14.5mm from the end of the swingarm, leaving only 3 indicator pop marks showing.

Hopefully another (mainly) dry day to come as electrical issue to tackle next ... MIL, ABS and T/C warning lights now permanently on since riding to work last week and consequentially no speedo. Was intermittent back in November (cleared after about 30 seconds) but now back with a vengeance.  :023: :172:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline gryan39

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Triumph tiger800
Re: New Chain and Spockets !
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:07:57 AM »
Nice one. Actually need do chain sprocket soon myself.
What chain splitter did you use as I will need buy one.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
Stevie.P - What rivet tool have you got there? Did it work Okay?

The reason I ask is when I did mine the clamp on the rivet tool stated to bend and didn't properly peen the rivet over, ended up going to my local shop for them to finish the job.

It was a cheap one from eBay  :173:

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:58:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by gryan39 [+]
Nice one. Actually need do chain sprocket soon myself.
What chain splitter did you use as I will need buy one.

It was supposed to be this one, ordered here purely as they were the only place I could easily find JT sprockets (recommended by reviews as the best) ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DID-Style-Heavy-Duty-Motorcycle-Bike-Chain-Breaker-Splitter-Link-Riveter-/202259401105

... but when the parcel arrived this one (boxed as in my pic) had been sent by mistake.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JT-Professional-Motorbike-Chain-Breaker-Splitter-and-Link-Riveter-Tool-Kit-/202258336290

As I had hoped to get the job done straight away, which didn't happen, I accepted the mistake as I didn't want the hassle of returning and waiting for the correct one and the value was the same, but I emailed them and they offered to refund some cost so I cheekily asked for another front sprocket instead which they happily agreed to and immediately sent me.

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
Re: New Chain and Spocket !
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
Stevie.P - What rivet tool have you got there? Did it work Okay?

The reason I ask is when I did mine the clamp on the rivet tool stated to bend and didn't properly peen the rivet over, ended up going to my local shop for them to finish the job.

It was a cheap one from eBay  :173:

Yes, it appears a cheap one from ebay (made in Taiwan) but what constitutes a better made one? With the old rivet head ground off with a flap wheel it easily removed the link. As for riveting the new link it didn't quite work as well as in the well made 'Delboy's Garage' youtube video with regard to pressing flush with the dome edges. However I had also watched a good youtube clip from Canyonchasers and combing their method was happy that the rivets should be fine, having spread one 0.8mm and the other 1.0mm when I decided to stop trying to press any more and the link still moving freely ... I didn't want to risk splitting the rivet by over spreading. I have painted the rivet heads so I can keep an eye on them between now and the Megameet.

In Delboy's clip he relates how the Sealey brand is only 35 if bought here ...
http://www.wemoto.co.uk/parts/picture/sq-vs779/
... but to be honest I suspect it is only one of those 'cheap' kits branded with a Sealey label.

Had I plenty of spare cash a genuine DID tool would have definitely have been the best choice for a perfect rivet, but at about 110 a bit too far for possible only a few uses.
http://www.didchain.com/chainTools.html

The youtube clips are:
https://www.youtube.   com/watch?v=6Yj4sKsguvU   ... 49mins
https://www.youtube.   com/watch?v=3mf6qRY0Syo  ... 10mins
I have split link to not appear direct in message as obviously quite long clips.

Offline gryan39

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Triumph tiger800
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
Its a bit suspicious that that tool is 35 bucks as it over 100 bucks on their website.
Thinking I might just get mechanic do mines. Cant be more that hours labour. Bit worried chain might come off if I do it.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by gryan39 [+]
Its a bit suspicious that that tool is 35 bucks as it over 100 bucks on their website.

Not really, nearly everything we buy on the High Street is sold below 'manufacturers retail price'. You should see the discount my 'Trade card' gets me at Halfords, like 66% on their tools compared to the public prices.
Buy the genuine DID tool and a DID chain for a perfect job if concerned about the riveting part but also get to do the job 100%. Do you really expect your dealer is going to clean all the mess away, as you can, before simply throwing the new sprocket on amid the surrounding crap.
It was the 1st time I've actually done a riveted chain myself and was apprehensive but it really is easy following the enormous amount of helpful youtube clips.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 10:04:24 AM »
30-40  is the going rate for those, that's about what they're worth IMO

30 from Amazon inc delivery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS779-Motorcycle-Breaker-Riveter/dp/B000WZAAUS

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Buy the genuine DID tool and a DID chain for a perfect job ...

If you have a few mates who do their own maintenance go shares on buying the best quality and take care of it. The main point within the complete task for tool care (IMO) as advised, grind the old rivet head off first, don't attempt to drive it out with the tool without grinding.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
As has been discussed, the 124 link chain on the roadie puts the adjusters well back in the slots before the wheels have even rolled. The lower back corner of the adjuster block is a mere 14.5mm from the end of the swingarm, leaving only 3 indicator pop marks showing.

After a few trips to work and the Gloucester Megemeet weekend, somewhere around 500-600 miles, I've just given the chain an adjust and lube before I go to work. Initial settling/stretch/wear (take your pick, we've had that discussion) had the adjuster winding out approx. 1.5 turns and the adjusters moving back just over 1mm at 13.22mm as measured in earlier post. I deliberately bought a spare link as a backup but also I plan at some point in the future adjustment to see if I can drop 2 links out and take the adjusters way back to the front of the slots?

Recent Topics